Tropic Marin 35 10.17%
Reef Crystals 36 10.47%
Sifto 9 2.62%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2007, 02:47 AM

littlesilvermax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer View Post
Just want to confirm.....the 350 ml of Mg.....is that a dry measure?......or do you mean grams?

Thanx much,
I don't know for sure how much I use. It is a little over a cup and I have it marked out on a small container I use. So yes it is ml, but 350 is just from my best recolection.
Calcium, Kalk, RO filters, magnesium, Excellent prices
Old 04-11-2007, 03:18 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
IMO, there are way too many choices to choose from and all it does is add to the confusion. I like to stick to 4 basic, yet important criterias when choosing a salt brand.

1. cal,alk,meg levels
2. consistantancy
3. price
4. availability

1 - not that important as most are in managable range of 360 - 400ppm +, levels can easily and cheaply be modified with Ca reactor or additives, so I have no worries here
2 - I believe this is the most important criteria, whether it's lacking or not of any substances, it must be consistant from one bucket to the next. Most brands are pretty good most of the time. Brands like Tropic Marin wins here.
3 - There has to be a reason why some brands stick out as been the cheapest or most expensive. Lacking or too much of an ingredient(s) or processing precedure. I really don't know why OceanPure and TropicMarin prices are so different.
4 - has to be available upon request, shouldn't have to pre-order or pay extras for bringing it in.

So by following these step, I've made it easier for me to determine which is the most economical, most often available, and doesn't require alot of adjustment. Here's an example:

I run a large calcium reactor which takes care of the 3 levels in criteria #1.
I test every new batch of salt water that I make before adding to the tank, so if it's low on something I just use additives to boost it first and leave the rest to the Ca reactor. I don't use the expensive salt that are $60+ per/bucket because I don't need to, it's pointless. My brand of choice has been InstantOcean because it's cheap, readily available, has been consistant for me in the past 5 years. There are few brands in the same price range, but none that have been around for as long, so I go with what works. I am currently testing the new AquamedicReefSalt, it's readily available and is in the same price range as IO with higher levels of Ca, Alk, Meg.
So if I understand correctly you have your CA reactor pushing your levels up to compensate for your salt. Is that correct? That would mean your CA and ALK are in constant flux. From low to too high. Does this not ever cause massive problems when things finally become out of balance?

J
Old 04-11-2007, 03:38 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road
Question

I was wondering If anyone tests their salt 24 hours later after they have used their salt mixing '' formulas '' or do they just dump er in ?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:16 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

I did and do it sometimes, usually check pH and SG. If I'm starting a new bucket of salt I'll test Ca, Alk, Mg just to see if it's another one of those bad bunches but after the first batch of make up it's just pH and SG. I'll adjust Ca, Alk the same way for each batch of make up water. 1ml of Ca, 1ml of Alk and I add my Mg suppliment (Kent Tech M) once a week to my freshwater top off.

Doug
Old 04-11-2007, 05:44 AM

kaboom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
So if I understand correctly you have your CA reactor pushing your levels up to compensate for your salt. Is that correct? That would mean your CA and ALK are in constant flux. From low to too high. Does this not ever cause massive problems when things finally become out of balance?

J
I use the Ca reactor to maintain the high demand levels that my sps tank consumes. Additives are used to raise it to the proper levels. Once achieved, the reactor just keep things constant and in balance.

So realistically, Ca/Alk/Meg concentration in salt is not really that critical as these are constant depleting elements that requires replenishing. It's great to have these levels high in any salt brand, but none will last long in a calcium hogging reef tank like a stoney coral environment.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:56 AM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road

Kent all the way, i used to use instant ocean but i find kent dissolves much easier and is finer, the only thing that isn't fun is that a Kent 200-gallon is $60 and a IO-160-gallon is only $40 so it's tempting but i'm still gonna have to stick with Kent

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 08-23-2007, 03:18 PM

Tyson is on a distinguished road

im useing ocean pure pro and i find the mag really high like 2.200ppm i've never dosed mag in my tank for that reason. is there anything better?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:21 AM

Manny is on a distinguished road

I use Instant Ocean, but I noticed that there are 5 paople on here that are claiming they use Sifto salt. I hope they are joking

it's not the size of the fish, it's the motion in the ocean!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:39 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I use Marine Environment salt...only available at Aquarium Illusions. I used IO for the first 15 months in my tank but I could never get control of my numbers and the salt just never disolved clean. After looking at a lot of other forums, like RC and RL and RAG, I found that most of those people swore by ME. Since making the change, I have to say, it's awesome stuff! A little more expensive but given what kind of dough we spend on this hobby, cheap salt seemed like a mistake.
Just my 2 cents.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:04 AM

TeknoPunk is on a distinguished road

I really like the kent sea salt
my last bucket I tried seachem and I returned 3/4 of the bucket I hated it.
was hard as a rock and even sitting in my mix for 48 hours it still wasn't desolved.
T5HO dual ballast lighting (power glo, marine glo)
---------
10G Nano
Fluval 404
power glo