Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2014, 04:19 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road
Default In this thread post your most idiotic reefing mistake

I have made a few dumb moves over the years, typical scenario is come home, tired, lots of stuff going on at home, decide to do X but not thinking ahead, then things go wrong. Well today I pulled a real good one so I thought I would post it here in the hopes that others had done something even stupider so I wouldn't feel so bad.

I have been experimenting with brine-shrimp growout. Researching the different feeds it looks like yeast, spirulina, and various flours were good choices to feed growing brine shrimp. One site I found on the web recommended blending up the feed in a blender for 2 minutes to micronize it. So I thought to save time I would blend up some spirulina powder, whole grain flour, and yeast along with some water, and store it in the fridge.

This concoction was kept in a capped bottle in the fridge for a couple of days and today was the first day to feed a new hatch of brine shrimp. As soon as I uncapped the bottle, gooey dark green spirulina mix spurted out over the ceiling and carpet. I had not forseen that the yeast would ferment the flour mixture producing a build up of pressure from the CO2 gas.

If anyone knows a good way to get rid of spirulina stains on a plaster ceiling let me know. Please feel free to post any similar idiotic moves that you may have done.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge