Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-08-2020, 03:25 AM

Daframer is on a distinguished road
Default Ideal tank setup?

I have a 135gal (72x18x24) tank that I had setup as a cichlid tank. Well the damn thing spring a leak while I was put of town for work, so thats toast now. So now its all stripped down, im going to get it revealed and want to build it into a reef tank. I have a 100 gal sumpless setup going in the other room, so its not my first saltwater tank. What I want from you fine folks is, what would your ideal setup be for overflows, bulkheads, sump setup, lights, any other gear i may need. Im going to out it together over the next year or so, so that I can fire it up when im done working away from home. Now I won't be able to get a top dollar setup, but dont want to go cheap on it. The tank will sit in a nook in the dining room so any plumbing and wiring is hidden on the back side.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

Will you have a sump in the stand?

To start, id say get a decent sized sump under there.
Have a refugium section, frag section and ATO section.

Atleast 3 drains so you can run a herbie, use a gate valve for precision control.

Keep your eye on the buy/sell, since you have time to accumulate items there are some ok-good-great deals to be had.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:06 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Lighting is always a hot button topic however I do recommend going LED or LED hybrid both offer excellent light spectrums but the caveat is your pocketbook will suffer unless you find some good deals ATI, Kessil and Radion are all good quality products but hurt the pocketbook.

Unless you are using a powerful return pump to push water around your tank invest in some good quality power heads. Hydors are relatively cheap but push limited water while Tunze can push a lot of water but can burn through your wallet fast. then there are the ecotech powerheads which are very expensive but cheap to run. On a final note get powerheads with magnets don't get suction cups or you will regret it.

Finally if you want piece of mind if you don't mind parting ways with your wallet get a controller there are several types out there the most popular being Neptune. Controllers will moniter and operate lights, power heads, thermometers, salinity and ph amongst other things.

As smokinreefer stated watch the buy/sells you can get great deals.