Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-07-2020, 05:12 AM

LifeIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Default What was your experience with tangs in a 90 to 120 Gallon Tank?

I've got a new 110 gallon tank setup and I am considering getting a tang. What was your experience with tangs in a tank around that size, and what kind of tang did you have? My tank is 48x18x30H. Currently stocked with a melanaurus wrasse, 2 clowns, 2 springeri damsels, 2 anthias, and a tailspot blenny.

Tank pic here.

Thanks for any advise and experience!
Old 04-07-2020, 05:50 PM

cvrle1 is on a distinguished road

Full disclosure, never owned a tang, but did a lot of reading about them. Common theme usually is bigger tank is better. With that said, total volume of tank is only 1 part of the equation, length of a tank being the other one. It is better to have a 5 foot 110 gallon tank than 4 foot 120 gallon tank as an example. That extra foot of swimming space makes enough of a difference, as tangs swim length of the tank whole time.

Bristletooth, Kole and Yellow tangs seem to need least amount of space. You can always get a juvi tang and keep it until it outgrows your tank. Then either re-home it, or upgrade your tank haha. I am sure others that actually had tangs will chime in with lot more specific info.

PS: Great site with info on each species of fish, their temperament, min size tank and so on: https://www.liveaquaria.com/category...ons?c=15+43&r=
Old 04-07-2020, 05:54 PM

cvrle1 is on a distinguished road

Old 04-07-2020, 07:09 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Tangs have many pluses and minuses. Pluses they eat algae and they are entertaining minuses they are aggressive to new tank mates and can harbour diseases especially certain types of tangs. I have a Bristletooth in my 75 gallon, I just have to isolate him when I am adding a new fish as he would beat it to death.

He nearly killed himself when I added a tiny one spot foxface to the tank and he wouldn't leave it alone. He got torn apart from the spines on the foxface. Eventually he gave up when he realized the foxface just wasn't going away.

He also nearly killed my 25 year clown fish when they were laying eggs, he just kept wanting to eat the eggs and was extremely aggressive. After that I just removed the eggs as soon as they were laid in order to stop them fighting.

Other then that he is great.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:12 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

I did have a yellow tang in the tank when I added the Bristletooth. They were fine together. The yellow tang just went MIA about 2 years ago, no idea why.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:06 PM

LifeIsGreat is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-11-2020, 09:49 AM

scilover is on a distinguished road

I think your tank size is good already, as long as they have enough space. Otherwise tangs will become stressed and aggressive.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:44 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Tangs can be 6 inches or they can be 3 feet, so asking about them is pretty broad. I think if your looking for a tang then you need to stick with the Zebrasoma tangs minus the Sailfin, the bristoltooth tangs, and the powders. The last 2 being especially aggressive. Stay away from large tangs such as the Valmingi, Sohal, Naso, and Regal. They will quickly outgrow your tank.