Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-19-2015, 03:06 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
And it is us, as tourists, that ultimately are the cause of that, too.
And to link back to the OP's subject I would say it is being in the hobby that has made me more aware and sensitive of the damage that resorts create. Most non hobbyists have no idea, when they see the white sand beaches and go snorkeling there, how the resorts have damaged the corals and reef environment.

So my argument would be that if more people would be in the hobby, there would be more awareness and support to protect reef environments. Hence our hobby is actually good for the environment!!
Old 12-19-2015, 03:14 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Ok, so awareness creates empathy towards the preservation. How is this implemented in practical terms? I'm pretty fond of reefs, but I still go to resorts
In other words, what actions are created that offset the damage we do?
Old 12-19-2015, 03:35 PM

Apo Reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Ok, so awareness creates empathy towards the preservation. How is this implemented in practical terms? I'm pretty fond of reefs, but I still go to resorts
Here's one way, these are informed youth making a difference after seeing the devastation of their reef:

https://youtu.be/npOtFNOZ4vc
Old 12-19-2015, 03:39 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I now avoid and don't go to resorts where they have destroyed the reefs. That's why I prefer Hawaii (in particular Maui) where there is much more awareness, protection and responsible resort/shoreline development that does not destroy the environment, like in Mexico and those parts. I think the local marine aquariums in Hawaii have also made the public (and tourists) more aware of the local reef environment there. And I think that is what Vancouver Aquarium does as well for us.

So if you really want to help, Brad, don't go to Mexico resorts, and tell all your friends not to... Sure, it is a small part, but your own tank is a small part too.

When friends/family come over to our house and see my tank, I also take the opportunity to explain the reef environment, and tell them how bad some of these resorts are. So my tank is also educational in that way.

And another thing, buying only cultured corals (not wild caught) also helps. Better yet, buy more from your local hobbyist instead of online importers. And yeah, yeah, I know that is not a popular stance with you, as they are vendors which grant us the great privilege of being on this forum...

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 12-19-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:49 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
And yeah, yeah, I know that is not a popular stance with you, as they are vendors which grant us the great privilege of being on this forum...
Oh c'mon, leave your politics out of this. I fully and whole-heartedly endorse buying from local hobbyists. It's the core of our hobby. 90% of my coral is locally sourced frags.

This is about our impact, as a hobbyist population globally. All the rock, all the salt, all the gear, the fish, the corals. etc. Not about deforestation, global warming, and all the other impacts that we do not directly control. This is about us keeping aquariums in our home and the direct impact that has when adding all of us up.
I'm not suggesting that there is a right or wrong answer, simply a topic for discussion and something to think about. Maybe change how we consume things after considering the impact.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:16 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Pretty much everything we do has a negative impact on the environment. When I ride my bike to work instead of drive, I run over slugs, insects, the odd small furry creature, and I give nothing back. At best I impact the environment less.

I would say yes we do have a positive effect captive reef keeping. The biggest threat the the reef in the wild is not global warming, but the people who live near the reef. Coral farming by the local inhabitants, who likely have a subsistence lifestyle, gives them a reason to value the reefs. They now have an economic incentive to preserve the local environment, as well as an (relative) affluence they would not have previously had.

The main downside with our tanks of is course our energy guzzling contribution to global warming. If it wasn't for this my tank would be much, much bigger! Oh, and I'd go back to metal halides.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
I would say yes we do have a positive effect captive reef keeping. The biggest threat the the reef in the wild is not global warming, but the people who live near the reef. Coral farming by the local inhabitants, who likely have a subsistence lifestyle, gives them a reason to value the reefs. They now have an economic incentive to preserve the local environment, as well as an (relative) affluence they would not have previously had.
Fair point. I can see that promoting better care of reefs.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:44 PM

Geo is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to set up a reef and stock it with only captive bred fish and cultured corals today?

What about clean up crew, are they wild?
Old 12-19-2015, 05:47 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Is it possible to set up a reef and stock it with only captive bred fish and cultured corals today?

What about clean up crew, are they wild?
Absolutely! Captive bread fish are little harder, but many of us have tanks that are 100% captive bread corals.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:05 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

When I see things like this, I think our efforts and money need to be spent focusing on awareness (shark fins aren't going to make you "perform" better guys) and laws in poverty-stricken or naive cultures.

Shark fins drying on a roof top in Hong Kong:

Same building:

SPS fanatic.