Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Contest 2012

Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

not sure if its an option or even possible lol but can you put your heater on a timer or something similiar so it only runs for a few minutes at a time??

im going heaterless and chose to put my tank next to the furnace vent, so far so good no temp drops:P
Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

lol isn't this the same tank doug was going to plumb into his 180 before lol
Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 PM

nanoreefnewbie is on a distinguished road

Nice tank bud should be a great build I'm liking it plans either which one I'll be following this build
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
not sure if its an option or even possible lol but can you put your heater on a timer or something similiar so it only runs for a few minutes at a time??

im going heaterless and chose to put my tank next to the furnace vent, so far so good no temp drops:P
I'd rather find a heater that doesn't over heat the tank instead of messing around with timers. The temp is at 76-77 without a heater right now, but come winter I keep the house cold at night (I turn the furnace down to 15 so I don't hear it running all night) and coolish during the day (18-19) so I'm thinking I'll need a heater once it gets colder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy View Post
lol isn't this the same tank doug was going to plumb into his 110 before lol
Yes it is, but he never did plumb it in and now I stole it
Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefnewbie View Post
Nice tank bud should be a great build I'm liking it plans either which one I'll be following this build
Thanks

I went "shopping" for rock yesterday and found a really cool shaped piece from my 230g reef tank. Unfortunately I discovered that the rock that seemed small (at least it did in my 230g) basically barely fit into the 2.5g oops! So then I looked for a smaller piece and found a cool flat long piece. Realized I needed a few more small pieces of LR but had a hard time finding anything small enough in my 230g reef. So Doug said I could go "shopping" in his sump (must say he has some really nice rock in there!) and after a few tries this is the end result

It was a bit cloudy from having just put the rock in but you get the idea, also you can see what the EcoPico led light looks like. I plan on adding two more led light strips to it and a dimmer, which Grizz had graciously offered to pick up and deliver for me

Last edited by fishoholic; 09-18-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 AM

Boxboy is on a distinguished road

Good job on this little tank, its going to be nice!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 AM

Yeah I always wounded why they need heaters..urban very lucky lol
Old 09-19-2012, 02:14 AM

Oh and very nice pics
Old 09-19-2012, 02:24 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

a post has been made in all the contest forumns regarding contest rules via the timeline, everyone should read this post as there seems to be some confusion.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
a post has been made in all the contest forumns regarding contest rules via the timeline, everyone should read this post as there seems to be some confusion.
Ya I just saw that and being the non conformist like I am I laid the smackdown on ya! BTW I love you Denny Aren't you glad I joined and am making things a nightmare for you and yes I'm fully aware I'm a brat. Also willing to bribe with pretty zoa frags to be allowed to set my own pace as long as things are done before/by the dates posted

to quote myself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too late... I didn't read the rules right or understand things right (as you did say DENNY that we could go at our own pace) and I thought that you had until the dates above at the latest to do things but you could do them as fast as you wanted to but no slower then the dates above. Sorry I didn't read the rules very well before I signed up. I am waaaayyyyyy to impatient of a person to not set up stuff immediately, like as of yesterday, and it kills me to wait a day (never mind a whole month ) not to share progress (when progress was made) so what fun is it if everything is running but you have to hold back pic's until the right dates Guidelines are good but they should be "have to be done by this date date" not "can't post pic's of what you've already done till this date date" Seems silly to me that if you've already done something not to show what you've done until a certain date

Personally I say we take a vote with the contestants entered to see how everyone feels about going at their own pace as long as you have posted updates along the way and you have the things added by no later then the dates posted above. That way people who want to go faster can and others who want to take their time can as well. That way everyone is happy especially me

This is a contest after all and it's not my fault if others can't keep up Besides isn't it more interesting to see what happens as it's happening then making people wait for updates on things they've already done????? Judges can dock points if they like if they feel like bratty contestants like myself are going to fast but personally it's more fun to see what's happening as it's happening then to have to wait until months after the fact!

Last edited by fishoholic; 09-19-2012 at 03:15 AM.