Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I've only seen them in pictures but it does look like a Corynactis to me (or maybe a Pseudocorynactis?). Very awesome whatever it is.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:41 PM

Taipan is on a distinguished road

It threw me off as well. You're not the only one. It does appear to be Corynactis sp. as opposed to Pseudocorynactis.

I'm used to Pseudocorynactis from the Caribbean and they are generally smaller. This particular shipment was from Indonesia. Corynactis sp. are found in those waters.

As for its awesomeness....I'd have to agree. Thank-you.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 PM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road

Saw this while diving if only I knew the name of it.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Condylactis gigantea would be my blanket guess based solely on two factors: 1) I think that's what they look like, and 2) they live in the Caribbean.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 PM

Perform an image engine search for "Condylactis, Condylactis Gigantae, or Purple Tip Condylactis". That's my best guess. Where were you diving? That may narrow down the search as well.

P.S. - Delphinus - Great Minds think alike
Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Condylactis gigantea would be my blanket guess based solely on two factors: 1) I think that's what they look like, and 2) they live in the Caribbean.
It looks more like a BTA then that though. I just don't know what the colour would be called?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:44 PM

You may be right....but in my opinion....the "Bubbles" aren't usually formed liked that on an A-Typical Bubble Tip.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
You may be right....but in my opinion....the "Bubbles" aren't usually formed liked that on an A-Typical Bubble Tip.
Thats why i am solo confused not even the dive masters had a clue what it was
Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 PM

Not to sound too hoitytoity but dive masters don't always know what they are looking at. At least in my experience, they have been good at what I needed them to be good at: being the dive master and fiddle faddle with the tanks and regulators and other dive-ish technical mumbojumbo, but as far as the biology of the reef was concerned, some were barely past "look at all the pretty fishies and stuff." If the dive company had a marine biologist on hand that might be a bit different but then again, I'd be a bit baffled that a marine biologist would have trouble identifying a condy (if not C. gigantea I'm thinking this is surely in the same genus).

Definitely not Entacmaea quadricolor (BTA) although surely some similar features (but then, condys do look like this). But E. quadricolor is strictly Indo-Pacific range - unless a very rare colour specimen hitched a ride with a lionfish, I'm thinking "not BTA" is probably a pretty safe bet to take.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinGoalie View Post
I just don't know what the colour would be called?
I'd call the tentacles "translucent white with purple tips." The base we can't tell from the picture, but I bet red or purple are solid possibilities. :-)

Tags
anemone