Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-13-2009, 05:47 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Just went through the whole thread again. Once again, amazing.

Btw, did you luck out with the structure of the running beams (supporting beams) and your tank sits in a couple of them. I'm debating about upgrading and would love to to a room divider, very inspiring.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:24 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
Just went through the whole thread again. Once again, amazing.

Btw, did you luck out with the structure of the running beams (supporting beams) and your tank sits in a couple of them. I'm debating about upgrading and would love to to a room divider, very inspiring.
Thanks :-) Yes, if you are referring to the floor beams, the tank sits adjacent to one of the main beams in the middle of the room, and then 5 or maybe 6 joists (running beams?). Most importantly, they run perpendicular to the tank.

I remember your house, and if I remember right, I made a comment about a great location for a peninsula in between your living room and dining room :-D
Old 11-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
if I remember right, I made a comment about a great location for a peninsula in between your living room and dining room :-D
See that's what real friends are for. Giving each other ideas that are essentially divorce fuel. Lol.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Thanks :-) Yes, if you are referring to the floor beams, the tank sits adjacent to one of the main beams in the middle of the room, and then 5 or maybe 6 joists (running beams?). Most importantly, they run perpendicular to the tank.

I remember your house, and if I remember right, I made a comment about a great location for a peninsula in between your living room and dining room :-D
oh god i think i will have to look up framing terms. I know i have boards that run across the house and the way my current tank is sitting it lays on 4-5 of them i think. but if i did the room divider it would run parrell with them. Might call someone to check if they think it will hold the weight.

I don't watch tv and for the past 3 months i have been debating about selling the 50" and just having a sitting room where i can relax. every time i read this thread i keep considering it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
See that's what real friends are for. Giving each other ideas that are essentially divorce fuel. Lol.
Being single and young has its perks
Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Oh yeah this isn't the first time you've told me you're single now I remember.

We just need to be clearer on WHY you keep telling me that dude haha!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:47 AM

I enjoy everyones stories about their wife's and this hobby, esspecially yours. Brings a smile to my face. I am just waiting for you to finish your tank. Like everything great, it just takes time.

Trust me, finding a girl who will put up with me is a hard task. Plus i am a nerd at heart

Yes i find that extremely funny
Old 11-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Gold Member

lmao! oh so do i. can you share a link to the store? The more clever shirts I have the less clever I need to be lol.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:03 AM

http://www.thinkgeek.com/

have fun. i think it took me an hour before i finished looking over this site. have yet to make my first order
Old 11-13-2009, 03:05 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I love think geek,I have a bunch of junk from them. I even dressed up the wife and the kids in some of their stuff. There's a picture of my wife with Darth Vader wearing her "I love my geek" t-shirt

P.S. tony if you read this and find that picture, that's Dave!

Lorenzo: Again, if I remember right, you had hardwood floors on that floor. Normally you have to run hardwood floors perpendicular to your joists. Or at least that's what I've been told. So your tank would run parallel to the hardwood floors in this case. I'm no builder but I think it is a rule of thumb, even if there might be exceptions ? I asked quite a few people before proceeding and the general consensus is that 150g is about the max you'd want to comfortably put on the main floor without extra support underneath. But then I know people who have put more than that so I don't know
Old 11-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

150g plus sump would be like 200g :-) I knows quite a few ppl putting their tank on main floor without doing any extra support to the floor. But i think we should play safe by sistering the floor underneath. Easy to do and give you some peace of mind. A collapse or bend floor will cost thousands to repair :-)