Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Manitoba

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:17 PM

jtbadco is on a distinguished road

I am all about good deals in what can be a pricey hobby,....but I would never knowingly buy from someone like him.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:27 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
I can understand being offended with what he's done, smashing anything with SWC on the side a bit much.
Why? It's not likely there is going to be any customer service or warranty on them anymore.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:40 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Smashing what he's already received payment for (and what you paid for) proves nothing. You're just wasting your own money. I guess if it makes you feel better, but I've never felt great after throwing several hundred dollars in the trash can for no good reason.

Last edited by Parker; 12-11-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: I used you're and your correctly :)
Old 12-11-2011, 03:43 PM

I don't think anyone is really going to buy a bazooka and shoot their skimmer.
I'm pretty sure they are just voicing their disapproval
Old 12-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Judy Waytiuk is on a distinguished road

I had suggested the Aquarium Society, which runs the WFF now, issue a public statement (i.e. to the media) decrying the actions of the Fish Forum member (and that should be corrected immediately IMO) and noting that responsible hobbyists are disgusted by this sort of thing.
He didn't just import plants without a permit-- he imported endangered species for which you cannot get a permit.. and in sufficient volume that you have to know he was not just selling it locally through his little shop. And more than once. He was convicted on 18 counts, so I think it must not have been just the 2007 incident. They went his files and found evidence of many more such imports.
This would have been an opportunity for the Winnipeg aquarist community to distance itself from this guy and to provide a little bit of education to the public about how to have a tank that does not rape the environment.
I don't know what's going to happen with that suggestion.
But at the very least, I do hope Winnipeg hobbyists put him out of business by drying up his customer base. Thing is, how do you dry up his online business?
Old 12-11-2011, 03:59 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Okay he did what he did. But if he was selling the stuff for a bit cheaper, I wonder how many of us would have bought it and happily put it in our tanks.
Probably almost every single one of us! Knowing it was obtained illegally would drop a few out...If all he needed was a permit what would the advantage be to him not to get one? are they overly expensive? would he be not allowed to import as much? just curious because I have no idea what would have driven him to take such a risk?

I hate to say it but again we all sit here as "holier than thou" and condemn him as we sit and admire our pretty tanks. If it was as simple as "paying" the government for a permit this guy is guilty of being an idiot BUT we would have been enjoying the rock as we speak if he did. But no he didn't go through the proper channels and now the sentence of this forum would be to stone him, drive him out of business, black list his name and products and feel much better for it.. as we walk back to have another look at our pretty little tanks....

Last edited by jorjef; 12-11-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:06 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I had no idea that this was still ongoing. I knew about it in 2007 when he was charged, but never heard anything afterwards so I actually thought the charges were dropped. I can't believe it took so long to get a conviction.

Grizz...I'm also glaring at my two SWC skimmers now. Too bad I can't afford to replace them right now or I would smash them. If anyone wants to donate to replace my SWC 180 cone I will happily smash it. Maybe Mike could help me get an AK to shoot it with! Oh, or maybe a bazooka! BOY would that be fun!

Oh ya Myka the AK what one do you want
AK 47
AK 74
C-7 semi auto
C-6- medium full auto
C-9 light auto
C-3 sniper rifle
C-8 with the heavy barrel retrackable stock
M-72
84MM
Eryx
TOW missle

I think if you read this and look who its coming from, MYka AKA Mindy is playing around Come on she isnt going to smash her skimmers. she is joking. On another thought thou I have known Jayson since 2001 when I first got into the SALT WATER hobby. He is a great guy at first meeting him I told him in his hous. I know nothing what do I need should I buy this and this and this. NO Mike its not going to work you are wasting your money. what ABOut Lighting I want to grow this stuff I think. Jayson would take me over to his tan kand state this and that. OK. got it. NOw that Jayson is well under his way. Getting Cities really isnt a huge hassel. and I have been in his store when he receives massive shipments I mean Massive shipments. and this guy is well organize he has this and that. Im not defending him or anything what he does is his bussiness but seeing what he makes and what he sells if pretty decent. But to bring in 20,000 lbs of Rock and try to hide it on a well known flight that carriers that stuff in, not only to leave a 3rd world country ,but stop in the USA and switch flight and a load list thatis checked by customs, and then flies in to Canada to be stopped and then where is the Cities. where is the first Point of contact to check the paper work.

U can't assume that that type of paper work isn't going to be checked that is crazy. I have also heard that the cities thathe was suppose to have was infact done and the right weights of rock was too. it was for the wrong date. either way the guy had all the paper work in tact. wrong date come one that comes from the other end not here. But who has actually met Jayson in person. other then just talking to him on the phone.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:25 PM

Well, I've been to the store a few times and he was never friendly. Never offered assistance in the store. When I asked questions I got terse, 1 word answers, like he couldn't be bothered.

And the problem wasn't that he just didn't get permits or that they were for the wrong date. He brought in 20,000 lbs of rock that you cannot get permits for. And seahorses, and clams.....were they for his fence too?!?
It's all BS. He tried to cheat and he got caught. I'm sure there are lots of guys in prison who are really great guys once you get to know them.
Hahaha, get real.

Last edited by jtbadco; 12-11-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:28 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadco View Post
Well, I've been to the store a few times and he was never friendly. Never offered assistance in the store. When I asked questions I got terse, 1 word answers, like he couldn't be bothered.

And the problem wasn't that he just didn't get permits or that they were for the wrong date. He brought in 20,000 lbs of rock that you cannot get permits for. And seahorses, and clams.....were they for his fence too?!?
It's all BS. He tried to cheat and he got caught. I'm sure there are lots of guys in prison who are really great guys once you get to know them. HA, get real.
hmmmm was that last statement Get real for them or was that for me.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:35 PM

It was really directed at a few things.

His whole BS story about the rock being for a fence. Your comments about him being nice and helpful in person. It's just a joke. I'm not saying he wasn't nice to you but that doesn't mitigate his actions.
Closed Thread