Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-15-2009, 04:46 PM

Oxymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Rookie mistake

I placed GSP in my display tank on a piece of live rock. It has since spread from the frag plug and began to cover my live rock.
I have since removed the frag plug and placed it in the sand bed but now I need to know how to take out the GSP from the main rock.
After researching a bit more it seems that GSP can slowly take over a tank if not dealt with and should probably be kept in the sand bed away from the main display rock.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to kill off GSP. Im thinking of pulling the affected piece and using a propane torch to burn it off. Any input would be helpful.
Thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 04:55 PM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

You could just make the part of the affected LR a little island of its own so that it cannot reach the rest of your rock. (which is what I do, gsp is pretty when contained) You could trade the rock for another unaffacted rock. You could sell the rock. You could try peeling it off carefully. That might have mixed results unless you also kill the leftover bits with a chemical or fw.

Or if you really must kill it you could put kalk paste all over it or super glue, or soak it in fresh water for a bit. That last will kill much of the rock, and a torch would definitely kill most of the rock. If you go with the destructo method, don't put it back in your display until it goes back through the ammonia/trite/trate cycle somewhere else (bucket or tank with sw, heater and a PH)

Last edited by sharuq1; 04-15-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:06 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

+1 what he ^ said.

Personally, I'd just make an island of it, which is how I have mine in my tank, but mine got all over the rocks before I made the island. The whole left half of the tank. I have a short polyped specie though, not the typical GSP, so it's not as obtrusive, although I have noticed it does bother my Blastos and Acans if it touches them.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:12 PM

Oxymoron is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions.
Would Joe's Juice work? Has anyone had any succes with this? Does the purple "skeleton" of the GSP remain after eliminating with kalk paste?
Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:23 PM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

Skeleton? GSP is a soft coral. If it has a true hard skeleton you may have pipe organ. If you kill it with JJ it will likely melt away. I also had accidental success killing it with a 10 minute FW "dip" , the polyps pretty much exploded, the purple part eventually turned black and melted away. Who says mistakes aren't useful, eh?

Personally I think you should peel it off and give it away then kill then remnants if you don't want it. Up to you, I just hate to kill things unless is aptasia or something.....

Last edited by sharuq1; 04-15-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 PM

Haloreef is on a distinguished road
Default Green Star Plague

Could you remove the rock from your display and with a hammer and chissel, remove the affected area? You could then trade it to some one who would like it. (Not me, I hate the stuff.)
Pealing it off is labour intensive and not very effective. Any small pieces left stand a very good chance of returning. Pieces that may get away from you may start other colonies.
Like I said I hate the stuff. Yes it's "pretty" but it ain't SPS!
Good luck.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:58 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

My Powder Brown Tang nips at mine all the time... Hopefully he keeps the coral stressed enough to slow its spread... I have it isolated on its own rock, so if I does become a problem I can just yank the rock and be done with it. I definitely won't have GSP in my big tank when the day comes to add corals to it.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 04-15-2009, 07:18 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Aside of some people thinking they are ugly and they over take rocks, do they sting other corals? Do they cause any long term issues? I actually like them and have a colony of pink ones and some green... so long as they don't harm anything I would like to keep them.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:29 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
Aside of some people thinking they are ugly and they over take rocks, do they sting other corals? Do they cause any long term issues? I actually like them and have a colony of pink ones and some green... so long as they don't harm anything I would like to keep them.
I had some GSP that was against SPS with no problems other than slowly growing over, got another bunch that kills everything it touches.

Wish I never added the stuff to the tank.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 AM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

What colour is the nasty stuff? Can you tell it apart form the normal looking stuff?

And I thought it was "pretty"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
I had some GSP that was against SPS with no problems other than slowly growing over, got another bunch that kills everything it touches.

Wish I never added the stuff to the tank.