Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-10-2008, 06:14 PM

fiorano is on a distinguished road

thats absolutely terrible... after watching that short clip im going to go buy that documentary and watch it. probably make everyone i know watch it cause it looks extremely moving
Old 12-10-2008, 06:23 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstar View Post
I watched Sharkwater as well. and i think alot of it has to do with the fact that Sharks have always been portrayed to be monsters who will kill you in a heartbeat. No one has sympathy for them. I am totally sickened by sharkfinning. I think its a disgusting practice, as is shark fin soup. I think one of the stats has been like a 80 or 90% reduction of the worlds sharks... It has got to stop....
Yes its a huge number.

The documentary has a really nice line about how sharks have survived 450 million years (modern sharks 100 million though) on this planet through all kinds of disasters and climate changes but the one thing they can't survive is people.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:18 PM

Jay180reef is on a distinguished road

Absolutely disgusting.
It could take 15 years for the Asian market demand for shark fin to stop, but only if western governments ban it now and speak out! Every year that we delay, the shark populations will continue to dwindle.
Awareness is only the beginning, we should try our best, especially as reefkeepers to be the voice of oceanic issues! Email your MP!

Last edited by Jay180reef; 12-10-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay180reef View Post
Absolutely disgusting.
It could take 15 years for the Asian market demand for shark fin to stop, but only if western governments ban it now and speaks out! Every year that we delay, the shark populations will continue to dwindle.
Awareness is only the beginning, we should try our best, especially as reefkeepers to be the voice of oceanic issues! Email your MP!
Its clear that the only way the demand is going to stop at this point is when they go extinct. China has made it VERY clear they have no intention of helping with the situation. No matter what they have said over the years, they're action speak louder than words. Whether it be how they treat captive black bears only for bile or the shark finning. Its just not fair to the rest of the world in this case.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:42 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

If others have not done this, I highly recommend it.

A few years ago I found myself in a restaurant and saw shark fin soup on the menu. As loudly as I could I explained that I would not eat at the restaurant and I dragged my entire table of people out with me. I doubt it made one bit of difference, but I felt good for a few seconds.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Jay180reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Its clear that the only way the demand is going to stop at this point is when they go extinct. China has made it VERY clear they have no intention of helping with the situation. No matter what they have said over the years, they're action speak louder than words. Whether it be how they treat captive black bears only for bile or the shark finning. Its just not fair to the rest of the world in this case.
Thanks for the reality check, but I'm just not ready to be pessimistic and complacent. I have lots of environmental cliches if you need some motivation!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay180reef View Post
Thanks for the reality check, but I'm just not ready to be pessimistic and complacent. I have lots of environmental cliches if you need some motivation!

LOL. Thats not even close to being complacent. Why would you think I am happy with that scenario? I have met and spoken to Rob Stewart in Toronto as one of my brothers is good friends with him and trust me, the situation is grim. There is no sense in trying to make it sound hopeful. Unless of course you know of a way to convince 1 billion people to abandon their culture. Ok...saying 1 billion is not quite correct since not everyone in China is eating shark fin and many, many people there comdemn it as well but you get the idea.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:52 PM

Flavio is on a distinguished road

very sad indeed,
Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I saw it... twice. I knew it was happening and am glad there is a documentory about it. I don't know why people don't care what happ-ens in our world. Some day future generations will look at ours' with disgust and contempt. I hope. I also think sharks kept in aquariums is very sad as well, but we saw my post about large fish in captivity.

Sadly the way things are going now, captive animals will be the only one left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Everyone should see "Sharkwater" by Rob Stewart if you have not already. Its very hard to watch but an incredible documentary on shark finning. The cinematography is amazing.

Not to get too far off subject but you should see areas of the reef in the Philippines that collectors have used cyanide or gasoline to collect fish. I was on a dive there a few years ago and was disgusted by the areas we would come across with literally dozens and dozens of what looked like very healthy fish dead on the sea floor. May have even been hundreds in some areas.

The description of the dying sharks reminded me of that. I think most people think shopping at a good LFS here in Canada means you are not buying illegally caught fishes but thats not the case. Most wholesalers here have no idea how their fish are caught regardless of what they are told. I spoke to our dive guide after that dive and he said he sees WAY more collectors using poison than nets hands down and that was why he had no more amazing reefs to show us. The collectors have quietly moved even into tourist areas.

http://www.sharkwater.com/

I love the shots of him hand feeding the sharks and then hugging them
Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 PM

Edmonton Eskimo is on a distinguished road

I saw sharkwater as well and to tell you the truth I almost cried. The senseless killing of millions of sharks for a tastless piece of cartilidge. WOW. It really makes you think about what kind of place this world is turning into. Future generations WILL look at us with disgust and contempt because we kill everything we touch. There should be a law that if you want to kill an animal you must do so with your bare hands only. That should even things up substantially eh? Jump in the water with that shark and see what happens when you try and kill it then. I am startimg to be really disgusted with our human race and feel it's almost time for another 40 days and 40 nights if you know what I'm saying!