Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-30-2015, 02:44 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

You've been busy! I like the idea to use the Nuvo tanks for quarantine. Not only do they look great, but they are also super handy in their AIO capacity, plus they come in several sizes. What are you going to be quarantining the tangs in though? Not the Nuvos??

For water changes, how far away from your tank is your water storage area? Every system is different, but if you have a bathtub or better yet a laundry tub within about 30 feet that you can drain the tank into that's my go-to. If I gravel vacuum then I just go into a bucket while the rest of the tank is draining to the bathtub/laundry tub. Then for refill use a 3/4" hose and a big pump. If you can use the pump for mixing and use ball valves to switch it from recirculating to tank delivery that's the bomb. I also like to make use of quick connects for hoses for ease of use.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:54 AM

Elder1945 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
You've been busy! I like the idea to use the Nuvo tanks for quarantine. Not only do they look great, but they are also super handy in their AIO capacity, plus they come in several sizes. What are you going to be quarantining the tangs in though? Not the Nuvos??

For water changes, how far away from your tank is your water storage area? Every system is different, but if you have a bathtub or better yet a laundry tub you can drain the tank into that's my go-to. Then for refill use a 3/4" hose and a big pump. If you can use the pump for mixing and use ball valves to switch it from recirculating to tank delivery that's the bomb. I also like to make use of quick connects for hoses for ease of use.
LOL no all the tangs will be QT in a temporary tank. I have a brand new 75 sitting under my stand empty that will be used for bigger fish.

The Nuvos are amazing and they will come in handy when I run into issues.
I will have them running all the time so will have better options when something goes wrong. One of the 10g will be a frag tank... Well that is the plan right now. I also find myself buying small fish I don't know why but just seems to happen that way.

As for the water changes I use pumps and brute trash cans. I have one for mixing saltwater and one for the old saltwater to go into. They have the dolly's on them so makes it easy to move. I was looking at two 100 gallon tubs for a saltwater mixing station but just do not see the need.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder1945 View Post
LOL no all the tangs will be QT in a temporary tank. I have a brand new 75 sitting under my stand empty that will be used for bigger fish.

The Nuvos are amazing and they will come in handy when I run into issues.
I will have them running all the time so will have better options when something goes wrong. One of the 10g will be a frag tank... Well that is the plan right now. I also find myself buying small fish I don't know why but just seems to happen that way.

As for the water changes I use pumps and brute trash cans. I have one for mixing saltwater and one for the old saltwater to go into. They have the dolly's on them so makes it easy to move. I was looking at two 100 gallon tubs for a saltwater mixing station but just do not see the need.
Good plan for the tangs!

I don't see the benefit in rolling the bins to the tank rather than keeping bins somewhere else and using a pump to deliver. Hoses are easier to move than Brutes. Besides, those Brutes aren't big enough for a 350-gallon tank. You need more like 60-80 gallon saltwater mixing at minimum imo. That way you can store two water changes at a time which makes for less mixing, plus if you want to do a bigger change you can. You can also use tees and ball valves with float valves on your tubs to have your RO/DI system fill them for you. Open valve A and it fills up the RO tub, open valve B and it fills up the saltwater mixing tub. Easy peasey.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Good plan for the tangs!

I don't see the benefit in rolling the bins to the tank rather than keeping bins somewhere else and using a pump to deliver. Hoses are easier to move than Brutes. Besides, those Brutes aren't big enough for a 350-gallon tank. You need more like 60-80 gallon saltwater mixing at minimum imo. That way you can store two water changes at a time which makes for less mixing, plus if you want to do a bigger change you can. You can also use tees and ball valves with float valves on your tubs to have your RO/DI system fill them for you. Open valve A and it fills up the RO tub, open valve B and it fills up the saltwater mixing tub. Easy peasey.
Ill have to agree with you I think in the next few weeks I will just get a mixing station built and done. Might as well do it right considering I am going threw all of this trouble.

Sounds like a fun weekend project.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:57 PM

Check out agriculture supply stores for water containers. Sometimes they have models that aren't too pricey. A local store here has 145 gallon upright containers for $140 IIRC, and they have a little stand you can buy for another $40 so you could gravity feed to the sump. They are only 28" wide, so they fit down stairs, through doorways, etc. See if you can find something like these. You have to clean them with a long handled scrub brush, but I think their small footprint is worth it.

http://www.hold-onindustries.com/tan...ex.html#page/4

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:45 PM

Update!

I have re made my sump... I just finished a sump for Canada's Corals and liked the white so much I decided to copy Dan's Idea.
Here is the sump I built for them.

Here is my new sump build.

Still not done....
Old sump

New sump

Also got the DOS and DDR set up.

I still have to re do the wiring to make it clean looking.. One day I will get to it....

The DDR came to me broken but I work with acrylic so was able to fix it.

Not Happy about that but what can you do no one has them in Canada that I could find.

Update on Coral I have started my Zoanthid garden per say...

And for good measure here is a FTS 2 weeks old but here it is.

Still working on fish will update that soon.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:28 AM

Sweet sump!! I wish I had the space, tools, and patience to work with acrylic.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder1945 View Post
I also wanted to post to thank Reefsupplies.ca for all of the support and the amazing customer support. Without them this build would have taken months longer and I would have ended up with the wrong skimmer.

There are a lot of places to order from in Canada but I must admit that Reefsupplies made my life easy on this build. They spent the time to go over all the equipment choices I made and discussed each one in depth. This in my opinion and experience in the hobby hard to find. They did not try to sell me the most expensive thing off there shelf but rather what would work best for my tank. This is why 90% of the equipment including my new QT system came from them.
Thank you very much for the kind words! We truly appreciate you trusting us with your epic build!

I will print this out and post it in the shipping area to remind everyone that hard work always pays off!

Thanks again

http://www.reefsupplies.ca
Old 02-17-2016, 02:00 AM

Tank Update!

This was taken with my S6.. Will update with better video and info soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGauuOHI_JQ
Old 02-18-2016, 09:48 PM

New fish are in !!!!
I would like to thank Red and The Coral Reef Shop for these amazing fish.

I also today ordered a few upgrades to the tank from reefsupplies.ca, I am going to be adding the ALD to my apex with 3 low-profile probes. I will also be changing my Jebo's that I currently run with the Apex WAV. I ended up going with 4 WAV pumps and 2 modules. The other option I was going to go with was the Maxspect Gyre XF130 x4 but it lost the coin toss .

I will also be adding 1 more AFS to try to curb any aggression that is bound to show up due to the new inhabitants of my tank. Also a VDM module for some projects I have planed.

The only thing I think I am missing now is one more DOS system for dosing.. This will come later as I slowly switch into sps.

I will be taking some pics of my tank this weekend as it is doing quite well in my eyes. I also have a video interview with LEOPAZZO coming up that will be fun and hopefully answer some questions on my system. I know now that he is battling a crash on his tanks and hope he is still up for doing it.