Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-29-2014, 12:56 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Red plate?! What manner of sorcery is this?!
Old 03-29-2014, 03:16 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
Ya that red plate is killer.

Great progress. Is this your basement? It looks great.
Yep it's the basement. The other half that I am standing in while taking the picture has the snake wall and couch area with the tv.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:43 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Looks like the tank is settling in nicely! The basement looks great. I'm still in love with that red plate, and still kicking my own butt for not snagging it. You're right about that Hammer too - pictures don't do it justice - it is spectacular in person.

Is the cyano still on the back burner? Did you start up the biopellets again? Do you plan to?

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 03-29-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:19 AM

The cyano is nothing but a bad dream now! I have not started up biopellets and I don't think I will any time soon. I like Colby's pov that they are a great fix to a problem, but they aren't a necessarily 24/7 media. I don't think I will bring it back online unless I start to see elevated nutrient values that water changes can't handle.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:25 AM

I've found a person has to be very careful with biopellets because they are VERY aggressive and can easily cause more harm than good. I'm glad to hear the cyano is nearly forgotten.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:05 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
The cyano is nothing but a bad dream now! I have not started up biopellets and I don't think I will any time soon. I like Colby's pov that they are a great fix to a problem, but they aren't a necessarily 24/7 media. I don't think I will bring it back online unless I start to see elevated nutrient values that water changes can't handle.
I actually have nothing but good experience using them and have the opposite philosophy. I believe the are good to run full time and are best as a preventative tool vs. something you want to use to correct a problem. Most people get into trouble using biopellets when they are added to a system with a build up of PO4 and NO3. Things change too fast and problems can occur.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:29 PM

So how then with my system which was brand new, and tested flat for nuisance nutrients started getting a cyano problem? Then I take them offline, the problem goes away AND my nutrients stayed at zero's. I did buy them and the reactor with the idea to run them at all times, but then got cyano which the pellets are supposed to prevent are they not?

My last tank had hair algae and bryopsis, so in planning this one I wanted to use everything I could to prevent that nutrient build up! I'm not saying I won't try to bring them online again, just for now I don't have any issues so I don't want to introduce them.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:35 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Well,... there is a simple sure preventative for cyano. It's called MB7, and a must use with bio pellets, IMO. I have discussed it here many time....
Old 03-29-2014, 05:35 PM

Scott, I think what happened with your biopellet experience is that you were using too many for the amount of available nutrients. That's what I find causes cyano with biopellet use. Discussions with some very experienced professionals seem to come to the same conclusion. The amount of biopellets used needs to match the amount of nutrients available for the biopellets to feed on. Since your tank is so new and you have such massive nutrient reduction equipment already in place, it is possible that 1/2 cup of biopellets would be too much. In my 90-gallon SPS tank I used fractionally less biopellets than was recommended - any more and I would get cyano growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Well,... there is a simple sure preventative for cyano. It's called MB7
I've tried MB7 additions for cyano, and I've never seen any reduction in cyano. I know lots of people report success, but it's far from a "sure preventative".

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:58 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I've tried MB7 additions for cyano, and I've never seen any reduction in cyano. I know lots of people report success, but it's far from a "sure preventative".
Exactly how did you use MB7, dose amounts and time, etc? Did you try it to reduce or eliminate cyano that you had in your tank, or use it as a preventative starting with a clean no cyano tank?

I stand by it as a sure preventative,... if used correctly. Like I said, I have discussed exactly how to accomplish that several times here in the past.

Tags
abyzz, bubble king dc 250, mitras, profilux 3, reef