Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-18-2013, 02:18 PM

thmh is on a distinguished road

Wow this build is awesome, Iam definitely following along to see your progression!

~Tony
Old 07-18-2013, 02:59 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Friggin nice man i have a great idea for my new 250 gal inwall
Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Beautiful so far! Loving the look of the tile.
I ended up using something very similar to those pulley's knowing that they were Zinc plated. I plan to upgrade to stainless or aluminum in the future.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:04 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Here is the new gear.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:09 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

*goosebumps* !!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

That's all lookin' pretty sweet!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 PM

Grouting is done, lights are rudimentarily up. I plan on cleaning up the wiring and probably raising the lights up to the main support beam to give me a little more head room when I raise the lights to the roof for maintenance. All I have to do is tighten up the aircraft cable between the lights and the beam.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 PM

Just bought the beauty on the right, a BK Double Cone 250 with RD speedy 3. Should be here next week!

I am really having a dilemma right now on choosing a return pump and manifold pump. I was waiting for the Waveline DC12000 but I am getting a little scared of the rumours of spotty customer service and reports of the new DC6000 having flow issues. I really like the Abyzz pumps but they are a lot of cash. I need reliability, over anything else, it needs to be reliable. I am going for long stretches and I don't expect my wife to change pumps out for me.

Can anyone rationalize one pump over another? Waveline, RD3's, Abyzz A400...

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:04 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

This probably sounds familiar but I think the Abyzz is overpriced, in terms of reliability the price tag just simply isn't justified. The most reliable and steady pump I've ever owned was a RD6.5 so I'd consider an RD pump DC or AC over the Abyzz given they cost less than half. Plus it'll match your new skimmer

I agree the wavelines and speedwaves reliability is questionable, while the pumps I have seem to run pretty solid they have developed more noise suggesting wear and I've had two of the 3 controllers burn out, which I'm suspecting relates to the crappy power supply they come with. The power supplies should really be regulated and given the juice they require a fan cooled unit would be nice. I originally ran all my pumps of a single regulated power supply as I originally suspected the power supplies to be problematic but later switched back to the originals so each pump would run off it's own supply with the idea of better redundancy, however now I'm thinking of grabbing one or two more more regulated power supplies to prevent future issues.

With that all said the advantage off these cheaper alternatives is their significantly lower price tag allowing the ability to run two or more pumps in parallel allowing more flow opportunities and the added reliability that comes with multiple pumps, if one fails your system essentially remains unaffected. They are also the most popular so easy to get replacements and claim warranty. While a pumps like Abyzz have better warranties if it's your only pump it'll be much more inconvenient if it does have issues.

In regards to the newer versions of wavelines, you could purchase the old versions to run for a while, they are cheap enough and will actually hold decent value to make a later upgrades quite reasonable once issues are sorted.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:10 PM

Thanks Steve, I appreciate your view on the matter! I may go with the RD3's and still run the top sump pumps in tandem for redundancy. If I go lower priced DC pumps I will just go with whatever Colby has the best supply of. But you're right, at least I can get water flowing and replace the pumps with a high quality unit down the road.

I just have to see what the pocket book and accountant (aka. Wendy) will allow.

How's the little man doing?!

Tags
abyzz, bubble king dc 250, mitras, profilux 3, reef