Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 AM

MicroTankin is on a distinguished road
Cool DIY RO Unit (inexpensive option?)

This is an article that I found while searching for a DIY RO Unit option on google. It is off of a Pro-Marijuana website unfortunately.
*Note* I DO NOT SUPPORT THE USE OR SALE OF THIS ILLEGIAL DRUG!
I have simply added this article to see what everyone thinks about this option. I have a very low budget I am thinking that this might be something that will work for me and be better than tap water.

I suggest only reading the edited article below as it has been edited to make it more pertinent to Reef keeping, but for those who are interested...

Here is the link to the full article:
http://www.420magazine.com/forums/do-yourself/116351-diy-reverse-osmosis-small-scale-grower-cheap-portable-effective.html
(Brief *edited* version pasted below with pictures)

- "This is not a true R.O. unit. However, if you are taking the time to check out this post, then it might be just right for you. So here’s the story…

The cost of an R.O. system, compounded with its installation, storage, and upkeep can be burdensome. Also, who wants to pay a buck a gallon to buy water? Not me for sure.

Now don’t get me wrong, a true R.O. system is fantastic. When working properly, it not only removes all suspended and dissolved solids from the water, but it also eliminates many pathogens. I’m more concerned with eliminating the suspended and dissolved minerals.

This is my totally portable and very easy & cheap to build and maintain water filter.

There are many different water filters available at the home centers, and when my search began, I tried a bunch of them, and researched the specs on even more. Their main problem was that they were designed to make your water taste better, not remove minerals. Many of them are charcoal based. In fact, if I took a TDS reading after the water was processed, there was often little change. Then one day while looking for something in the garage I spotted something and got an idea. Sitting in a plastic bucket were my son’s car washing supplies, and right on top was the “MrClean AutoDry” carwash system.

It’s really a ridiculous contraption, and we all had a good laugh after he won it at work. The idea of the unit is that after it sprays a ton of soapy water on your car at high pressure, you flip a switch and rotate a nozzle and it sprays clean water on your car to rinse it off. However, you can let this clean water air-dry without wiping it and its guaranteed not to leave water spots. So I said to myself “all water spots are, are residual minerals taken out of suspension and out of a dissolved state. And if the spots are gone, then so are the minerals.” Well it was just a simple matter of checking the output of the unit by taking a TDS or EC reading to confirm what I believed. I was right, the cheap cartridge filter inside the unit was doing a great job, and almost everything had been removed.

From that point on, a screwdriver, a little glue, a scrap piece of metal, and 15 minutes of work was all it took to complete the project. With the exception of the metal bracket, everything you see was reused from inside the unit. Granted it’s totally reconfigured, but all of the pieces you need are in there. In fact, if you don’t mind looking at the stupid thing, and you don’t mind feeling like a dweeb, you could probably use it right as it is without any modifications. However the shape and design is really stupid so I invested 15 minutes to make it better. All of the tubes have o-ring connections and need no glue, they’re “plug-n-play.” You can get rid of my metal bracket by attaching the associated tube with silicone. But before you do consider this. That first tube (shown on my finished filter) below the green connector is a must! It contains the flow restrictor / pressure reduction valve.

Without it, your device will blow apart and get you soaking wet. I speak from personal experience. When you open the original unit, you'll find it in a different area. Other than the restrictor, how you configure it is up to you. When you open the unit, you’ll be surprised just how many different tubes and connectors are available for your use.

So here’s the bottom line… The unit with a starter filter can be found on sale for well below 26 bucks at walmart in Canada. And even less if purchased online. A replacement filter runs about $5 and takes exactly 1 second to change. According to the manufacturer, replacement filters last about 3 to 4 times as long as the starter-filter. So far, I ran about 20 gallons of water thru a filter and there has been no increase in TDS in the output. If I get another 5, my cost per gallon will be less that 16 cents and require no lugging of water jugs from the store. Not too shabby!

When I did the test pictured here, my meter had not been carefully calibrated. That's why the distilled water shows a few PPM. Or it might be that there were still remnants of the Bennigan's Monte Cristo jelly still left in my "borrowed" cups. Either way, the numbers speak for themselves. Fifteen PPM is more than good enough for me to start with.
Look, I know this isn’t for everyone. But for those on a budget, and those with smaller requirements, it’s a great
alternative. Hope you found this of interest." -

Thanks for the interest! Please let me know what you think. I Think that this could be a good option for my 10 gallon nano .

(All information for this post was takin from:
http://www.420magazine.com/forums/do-yourself/116351-diy-reverse-osmosis-small-scale-grower-cheap-portable-effective.html
This information was edited and revised by me and is merely used for reference to the original article itself. All credit for this idea is to be given to "ledtester" at www.420magazine.com.)

-Sometimes I wonder who is looking at whom through that glass?-

Last edited by MicroTankin; 02-02-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 PM

clowny is on a distinguished road

Wow thats amazing, It'd be perfect for my 30 gallon as i currently use Ro water hauled from work. (thanks boss)
Old 02-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Seriously, you can buy a complete system for $150. Hardly what I'd call burdensome in a very expensive hobby. And it doesn't likely remove things you really want to remove. In fact, not sure what it does and doesn't remove. Overly complicated IMO, for not great savings.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 PM

150 bucks is expensive for me, and it is mostly the cartridge price for a real RO/DI. When I am done school and working again I will start setting up a bigger system but for now I think this is a nice little DIY that can supply my 10 g with lots of great water for cheap. I am running a nano on a extreme budget so.....expensive is relative. So far diy stand, light hood, rocks and free tank/skimmer and pumps......extreme budget! Plus I love DIY!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

You can buy RO water for as little as $1 for 5 gallons, for a 10 gallon nano on a budget that's the way to go. The Mr Clean approach will not give you good water for a reef tank, especially a nano.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroTankin View Post
150 bucks is expensive for me, and it is mostly the cartridge price for a real RO/DI. When I am done school and working again I will start setting up a bigger system but for now I think this is a nice little DIY that can supply my 10 g with lots of great water for cheap. I am running a nano on a extreme budget so.....expensive is relative. So far diy stand, light hood, rocks and free tank/skimmer and pumps......extreme budget! Plus I love DIY!
You are in Calgary like me... Firstly, you don't need DI. Reason is that Calgary TDS from tap isn't that high. I run basic RO, so prefilter, carbon and membrane and my TDS is Zero. So saying that, you don't need the more expensive DI.

Secondly, I would invest in the proper RO system. You can go without, but you might have algae issues, so a good RO is really important, just like a good skimmer.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't bother with a DIY. You will either ruin your tank or end up with alot of water on your floor when the DIY leaks everywhere.

If money is tight, look at trying to find a used RO system.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 02-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Further reading suggest the starter filter makes a few gallons and the replacement about 10 gallons. If you plan to be in this hobby long-term an actual ro/di unit is a great investment. If that requires saving up I'd still use ro water as a temporary solution as these things have been discontinued.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:01 AM

Thanks for your opinions guys, I am not sure if I will try this or not. I know that you can get this system at Walmart (so it must not be discontinued). I have thought about a used RO system....

Mostly I would like to know where I can buy RO water for $1 dollar per 5 gallons......cause then I will just buy it with only one water change every 2 weeks to a month that will be a cheap option!! (sphelps??)

Thanks to globaldesigns for the info about Calgary water!

Obviously the most important thing for my small system is not introducing Phosphates via my water changes...this could be detrimental to my system....so I definitely need to use good water!

Last edited by MicroTankin; 02-03-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:07 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I think a product still being available and being announced as discontinued are two different things was just mentioning that as I read it in the original thread you posted =)
Old 02-03-2011, 03:20 AM

Northernseacorals is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Seriously, you can buy a complete system for $150. Hardly what I'd call burdensome in a very expensive hobby. And it doesn't likely remove things you really want to remove. In fact, not sure what it does and doesn't remove. Overly complicated IMO, for not great savings.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/REVERSE-OSMOSIS-R...item3a62db5a52

$118 7 stage brand new with free shipping from BC no duty.
Mine was just delivered last week.

Highly recommend, if you are in the market this fella has awesome pricing... For what it's worth.

Ps. No tax hahah

Tags
diy, reverse osmosis, ro units, ro/di, tds meter