Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 03-26-2018, 04:04 AM
Proofed by Wheelman

Cujo#31 is on a distinguished road
Default So....this one eats me alive

About 3 weeks ago?? I had posted the need to move a sweet mature Chevron. It had been in my display for near 6 months at this point. I was able to trap the fish, and move it to my empty quarantine tank. The tank was empty prior to adding the fish, so I filled the tank with display water as I needed to do a water change anyhow. 2 days after putting Chevron into the tank, the buyer picked the fish up,
2 days after this the buyer notices some white spots on the fish. I was shocked because not only did the fish look healthy to me, but so did (and do still) the fish that shared my display with the Chevron. The Chevron apparently has anchor worms. I have offered to take the fish back, I have offered the buyer a full refund, and I have offered anything else I can possibly offer to make this right, however the buyer’s response has been best described as “the sound of crickets”
Anybody that knows me, or anyone who has done “business “ with me knows I am a man of my word, and I will stand on my head to keep everything above the board and I have worked very hard to not be “one of those guys”. So I put it out to all of you, my peers, pull no punches, please. U have tried to contact the buyer quite a few times with no luck. Am I a fool for pursuing this any further? Have I become “that guy”? Sorry, this one really bothers me. I would never knowingly EVER do something to harm another reefer’s tank or livestock. Certainly not for the sake of a few dollars.

Last edited by Cujo#31; 03-26-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:20 AM

Bonsai is on a distinguished road
Default Shevron.

You did your part brother.If he refuse to answer,it is not your fault.You are well known here,so dont fright.On the end ,what if fish is not sick or get sick in his aquarium.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:29 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

The fact that you replied is a huge step, then offering to take the fish back, another big one. Maybe the buyer is busy with other stuff, maybe they don't blame you but wanted you to know... for what ever reason.
it sounds like you did everything reasonable to make it right, sadly it may have just been the stress of the move that weakened the fish.
All the best
Old 03-26-2018, 06:23 PM

Mega is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Sorry to hear Gary. I haven't done a handful of deals with you but for all those times, you are the man of your words. I guess as a buyer, I would still quarantine my frags and new fish. Anything can happen! I think your offer to full refund and being initiative to help plays a big part as being a responsible reefer here.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:03 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I don't think you did anything wrong. Every fish anyone ever buys is always buyer beware, and should always be quarantined by the buyer anyway. I treat fish the same way as corals - I assume they have every bad thing known to man and (prophylactically) treat them as such.

Fwiw, you can't assume that the fish had anchor worms when you sold it. It could very well have picked those up at its new home.

I wouldn't blame you for it, maybe the buyer hasn't replied because he doesn't blame you for it either. Maybe he doesn't care.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:16 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

I'd guess that the buyers tank had anchor worms and due to the tang being stressed they attacked when the fish was added to their tank. Just a guess, what do I know.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:20 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Don't sweat it Gary. You're a valued member of our community.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:42 AM

Mattyb is on a distinguished road

Not your fault. It’s the buyers responsibility to qt the fish. Unfortunately things like this happen in our hobby. I wouldn’t sweat it
Old 03-27-2018, 01:43 AM
Proofed by Wheelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I don't think you did anything wrong. Every fish anyone ever buys is always buyer beware, and should always be quarantined by the buyer anyway. I treat fish the same way as corals - I assume they have every bad thing known to man and (prophylactically) treat them as such.

Fwiw, you can't assume that the fish had anchor worms when you sold it. It could very well have picked those up at its new home.

I wouldn't blame you for it, maybe the buyer hasn't replied because he doesn't blame you for it either. Maybe he doesn't care.
Well Mindy, I care. It is clear he does as well, however the fact remains this fish came from me, and that does not sit well with me.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:47 AM
Proofed by Wheelman

For the curious, found the thread the buyer posted. Go to General>marine fish> Does my Tang have parasites.
So he does care, that is obvious.