Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-06-2013, 07:18 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road
Default Power out - need assistance

Hey folks, anyone awake in Calgary at the moment? The power just went out in my neighbourhood (St. Andrews Heights in the NW) and enmax thinks it will be several hours to get it back up. My power outage plan has been to use my car as a power source as I have a 3-pronged adapter for the cigarette lighter, but in a case of the worst timing in history, the only extension cord I have that's long enough is at my dad's and he's not answering his phone. I need a 3 - pronged 50-100 foot extension cord and am willing to drive anywhere to get it
Old 09-06-2013, 07:46 AM

Ok I found two that I could string together. Here's hoping 1 vortech and the pump for my bio pellet reactor is enough to keep everything alive all night.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 AM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road

Everything safe? That is my greatest fear.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:38 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I'm awake now! Let me know if you need any help. I have a generator!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:43 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Let me know if you still need anything.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Yikes. Did it work out ok?

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM

Thanks guys! It all worked out ok, other than me being a completely ruined mess today for lack of sleep. My car wasn't able to run the return pump, which would have been optimal, but it was able to run an MP40, MP60, and the pump for the biopellet reactor no problem. I had to manually lift my garage door in the pitch black and do everything with a flashlight (my house is DARK with no power), and I scavenged an extension cord that was part of my ATO system in the basement and daisy chained it with another extension cord and a power bar with a really long cord to get it to reach.

Power was only out for about 3 hours, which in the grand scheme of things probably wouldn't have hurt the tank at all, but when I talked to Enmax they said that at that time of night it would take 2 hours for them to even get a crew to our area, and then depending on what had caused the fault, could take an indeterminate amount of time to fix. He said they usually get it back up within two hours of getting to the site, but when the faults are caused by several days of hot weather and involve underground lines it can take 6 hours or more for them to bypass them. I didn't feel like waiting for three hours and be faced with an emergency recovery situation at 3am if the power didn't come back on until today.

I think I'm still gonna consider a generator though, after 2 hours of running three pumps the adapter in the car was freaking hot and starting to smell like burning plastic. Not sure it would have lasted much longer, and I don't like the idea of needing to run my car in the garage during a power outage.

On another note, having zero flow in my tank for the 40ish minutes it took me to get everything hooked up and running was enough to create the creepiest and grossest bristleworm bonanza on my sand. I'm starting to wonder if it's actually a problem. They ALL came out. I took a video that I'm trying to figure out how to upload to photobucket, it's well and truly gross. My tank's biomass is easily 50% bristleworms.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:29 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Glad it all worked out! Only 3 hours, lucky!! :-)

And ya, I was too paranoid to run my generator in my garage when my power went out. I left it on my deck out back and ran the cord through my kitchen window.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Glad it all worked out! Only 3 hours, lucky!! :-)

And ya, I was too paranoid to run my generator in my garage when my power went out. I left it on my deck out back and ran the cord through my kitchen window.
dude I still have nightmares thinking about what happened to you. The fact that I don't already have a proper generator after reading your story... ugh. I practically deserved that power outage for my own stupidity. I tried to sleep on the couch because my car has an electronic key and won't allow itself to be locked from the outside if the key isn't in it and the car is running, so I basically had my car running unlocked, perfectly accessible to anyone who walked by in the middle of the night. Hence the not getting any sleep until after the power was back on and I had put everything away and locked it all back up. Not something I really want to ever do again.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:19 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
dude I still have nightmares thinking about what happened to you. The fact that I don't already have a proper generator after reading your story... ugh. I practically deserved that power outage for my own stupidity. I tried to sleep on the couch because my car has an electronic key and won't allow itself to be locked from the outside if the key isn't in it and the car is running, so I basically had my car running unlocked, perfectly accessible to anyone who walked by in the middle of the night. Hence the not getting any sleep until after the power was back on and I had put everything away and locked it all back up. Not something I really want to ever do again.
Glad it all worked out.

With your car running you can pull the actual physical key out and manually lock the doors of the car. In case you ever need to