Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2018, 05:25 PM

cvrle1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
I think in this world you really get what you pay for. I believe there is a marked difference in buying a quality fixture that uses quality parts (Cree or Osram led's), quality optics and a quality dimmable driver.
Reefbreaders fixtures use CREE LEDs as well, and cost less than 1/2 the price of Radions or AI lights. There was a a CBB unit (Micmol Aquapro) that used CREE LEDs as well, and was around $200. Majority of these units use same optics. What is more important is degree they use (80, 90, 100, etc) On CBBs optics are easy to replace and dirt cheap if you really want to play around with that. Most dont, as there is no need.

Quote:
Many of the lower end or black box leds don't produce as much quality light per wattage as does a fixture with a quality driver and cree or osram led's. Therefore it cost more to produce the same amount of light.
This is false. There is no such thing as better quality light. 3W LED will produce same quality of light as 3W LED. There has been 0 actual proof to this, yet people still believe it. Just look at the PAR readings and you will see that CBBs and Radions/AI/etc produce very similar amount of PAR (difference, if any is negligible) Again, bigger difference will be optics, but like I said that is easily changed.

Quote:
There is also the issue of warranties and longevity.
Thats fair enough, although units like Reefbreades do have same warranty and better customer service than some higher end units from what I read.

Quote:
Many people believe that if your light is producing the correct spectrum you are either wasting energy or worse encouraging unwanted algaes to grow.
AI for example use full spectrum on their units, it is even listed on their site. This is same spectrum as majority of CBBs use. Majority of CBBs copied spectrum from higher end brands and called it a day. Why spend money on R&D when you can just copy what works well from others haha

Quote:
My original leds I bought didn't last more than a year and a half before they were burning out and the fans had conked out. That was the original maxspect led. Back then they made a cheap unit. They did warrantee them and gave me a break on a replacement razor fixture.
Not sure when you had your unit, but I did hear they were quite bad when they 1st started coming out years ago. They are much better now than say even 5 years ago.

Quote:
If you don't believe me take a look at what 3 or 4 year radions are selling for on this site. Only a few hundred less than they paid for them. You can't give away a 3 or 4 year old black box led.
Of course they will, and I would sure as hell hope they would. You are talking about a $700 fixture vs $120. In 3 to 4 years I can just buy new fixture if need be, and do that 5 times. That gives me 15 years of new lights compared to one $700 fixture that wont last that long (LEDs do have limited lifetime)

Last edited by cvrle1; 10-24-2018 at 05:27 PM.