Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-30-2009, 03:03 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
This is the last time I take this thread off topic but it does address prop's original question about current hobby trends.

Here are PAR measurements on a T5 lit tank with 234W of 39W T5 lighting (a reasonably fair comparison to a typical 250W Halide):

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...0#post16117620
quite hijacking his thread for your own T5 propaganda

seriously though thoes numbers are not much different than your own. still way less than a deicent MH setup.

now so you don't spend a day trying to find some more stuff, I will say as I have said befor, T5's are good, they give a even light (although no shimmer) they are good enough to grow SPS as you could grow them with VHO and PC, why not T5 when it is a higher out put, and the assortment of buld is great.. allowing you to custom blend colors for a nice look. but I don't agree on a lot of the claims which you have just re-enforced my point a couple times now and if you are getting rid of 250 watts of MH and going to 250 watts of T5s you will not save in energy anything apreacable, and heat output will be the same, although it will be better disapated in the T5 unit so won't affect the tank as much.

I actualy had a pig post ready to go last night but I hit the wrong button and lost it all and didn't want to re-type it. basicly the jist was by adding more T5 bulbs you are not increasing the intensity only the spread and evenness, by going to bigger bulbs on a bigger tank it is the same idea, while you will get a larger coverage area from going to bulbs that are twice as many watts the increase in PAR at the bottom will be minimal and will be the result of more complet coverage not an increase in intensity.

this is why I feel the perfect combo would be MH and T5's you can get a nice 10K MH with a tone of PAR and then use a bunch of T5's to blend the color and smooth out the coverage a bit.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:53 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Steve,

I agree. If I could have a MH over my small tank without having to use a chiller I would. I previously had a MH/T5 Giesemann fixture over my tank and loved the shimmer and color. Unfortunately on such a small tank I was always fighting the added heat.

I just feel compelled to defend T5 lighting from time to time because there is so much misinformation being batted about on the internet despite the obvious and numerous successes.

What I have planned for the new year is to buy one of these new LED spot lights to supplement my T5s and get the shimmer effect as well as spot light whatever corals with whatever color I choose. Instead of using T5 as a supplement as is generally done with MH, I'll use the LED to supplement the T5. I just have to wait for some of the lights to become more readily available. Unfortunately my impatience usually gets the best of me and I end up just ordering something from the US instead of waiting for someone in Canada to finally decide to carry a new product.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
Steve,

I agree. If I could have a MH over my small tank without having to use a chiller I would. I previously had a MH/T5 Giesemann fixture over my tank and loved the shimmer and color. Unfortunately on such a small tank I was always fighting the added heat.
well we will see how the heat issue is with my new tank, I am planning on putting two 150watt MH and up to 4 T5s on it. it will be a 33 gal tank with a 33 gal sump so I am hopeing it will be able to disapate the heat. an added bonus is it will be in the basment and I have central air which keeps the basement kinda chilly in the summer.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:00 PM

Griffin is on a distinguished road

Welcome Back Jesse - I had the same problem start 4 weeks ago - thinking about my old tanks and how relaxing it was tinkering on them, its a hard one to let go of. Checking Canreef for pics, stuff for sale, information on new equipment, seeing if my old login worked lol. I am aswell going to get back into it but on a smaller bases. Looking forward to it and Anthony was on my ass saying i told you so within an hour of me putting up a post As always though he has offered his help in anyway to get things going for me again - Anthony you are a dedicated unselfish reefer and we all appreciate your help when we need it.
Cheers
Rich
Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Hey Rich, how the hell are ya? All these old faces popping up
Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 PM

Griffin is on a distinguished road
Smile

Brad - how the hell are you - Its official - picked up a tank last night from Shrimpscampii - live sand supplied, water is in - next live rock, fish, lps, upgrade the skimmer, empty wallet hmmmmm - not sure this was a good idea but i never learn

Rich
Old 12-05-2009, 03:32 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

wow

First Jesse now Rich.

Great to have you back.

Now we just have to get you out to one of our REEF NETWORK Dinners.

Watch for more detail on dinners they are the 3rd Wednesday of every month.

Tom R
Old 12-05-2009, 04:30 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Welcome back. I'm hoping to get more nice SPS frags from you soon.

As for T5 vs MH, I like the fact that I can actually touch my 5x39W T5HO (Aquactinics TX5) canopy and that it does provide enough light for my corals. They didn't however provide enough light for my 3 Crocea clams which perished shortly after I swapped lights (all else constant).
Old 12-05-2009, 05:35 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

As you can see from above, not much has changed in the bickering department
Old 12-06-2009, 07:50 PM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road
Default old-timer

hmmmm

How old do you consider old-timer. Started my first reef 90 gallon with 100 lbs of live rock and 2 back-pack skimmers back in 1995. Back then, mainly lps and softies. Had galaxy, frogspawns, hammers etc. Sold off everything in 2006, went to freshwater again and came back to reef May of this year.
You know what the biggest change in the hobby is? The internet.
In the mid 90's, the only info you could get is from buying magazines and books. Now I can get an instant reply from anybody from all over the world.
Sharing knowledge is the reason we can take this hobby so far.