Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Psyire is on a distinguished road

No Smoking laws are awesome. I don't have to put up with that smoke at work or at play now. It's great!
Old 05-01-2008, 04:36 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
For the record, I think the ban on public drinking is crap as well. Public intoxication yes, drinking no.
ROTFLMAO! When was the last time you drank, either in private or public, and didn't get intoxicated? Duh!?! Drinking ALWAYS results in intoxication to some degree Geez, that's basic Drinking 101

As a smoker, I totally agree with banning smoking every place it can be banned. Tax the living crap out of the stuff, too! The more uncomfortable a smoker is, the more likely they're going to think about quitting. Well, I mean, the smokers who whine and complain about everything will probably whine and complain some more. But, overall, ANYTHING to help a smoker quit is welcome in my view. Smoking is a one-way ticket to an early and painful grave, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
It may start with cigarettes, but we all know that obesity is the new smoking so we'll have "fat cops" running around fining you for eating potato chips in public, or daring to order gravy with those fries... don't say you haven't been warned
A huge problem for obese people is Type II diabetes. You might not know much about this horrible disease, but it maims and kills. 30% of people with diabetes don't even know they have it, which makes it even more deadly.

I think ANYTHING government can do to help people stay healthy is good for EVERONE in the long run. Staying healthy helps the individual; it helps family members so they don't have to watch a brother, mother, child become sick and slowly (or quickly) die an agonizing death; and it helps our health care, and ultimately our tax, systems by not having to treat illnesses that could very well be prevented.

Step off the ME, ME, ME! thing and think a little more the broader implications of governments trying to help people help themselves. All things being equal, your taxes may even go down

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Ok, if we want to encourage people to quit smoking and "help them help themselves" then here's a real easy solution, take the taxes made from cigarettes and subsidize quit smoking programs. Raise the price of a pack of smokes to $15 or $20. Bring in legislation allowing doctors to refuse service to people who won't help themselves, for example make recieving a heart transplant conditional on the patient losing 50lbs and quitting smoking.

I'm not arguing the fact that smoking is a terrible habit and that lung cancer is a horrible horrible way to go. Likewise I'm not suggesting that eating 10 big mac's every day is a good idea. If we really want to stir the pot there was a study done in one of the scandanavian countries that states smokers and unhealthily obese people actually save the system money because they die sooner instead of lingering on in a hospital like most healthy people do.

I'm speaking STRICTLY to the outdoor smoking bans that are being talked about locally. It is an individuals choice to smoke or not smoke, if they're outside and not hurting anyone else I don't think they should be singled out any more then the guy sitting down on the park bench with the happy meal.

"I think ANYTHING government can do to help people stay healthy is good for EVERONE in the long run. Staying healthy helps the individual; it helps family members so they don't have to watch a brother, mother, child become sick and slowly (or quickly) die an agonizing death; and it helps our health care, and ultimately our tax, systems by not having to treat illnesses that could very well be prevented."

You are assuming, that the government is filled with the smartest and brightest people around and has a better idea of what is best for you and I then we do ourselves. At what point should we expect people to take responsibility for their own decisions? Or are we going to become a society where we rely on the government to tell us what to do, eat, think, drink, etc.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:41 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

But the Govt doesnt want you to quit. They like getting your tax money. Plus, then we'd have to subsidize the tobacco companies even more

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 05-01-2008, 05:48 PM

Swags is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Swags

And please folks, lets not forget that smoking is not a 'habit', its an addiction... a very powerful one at that.
AMEN.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:58 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Yes, that is true.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 05-01-2008, 07:02 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Why not just get rid of socialized medicine. If fat smokers had to pay their own healthcare costs there would be a huge incentive for them to quit smoking and go for a walk. There is no such thing as personal responsibility left in this country. Whenever something goes wrong everyone says "The government needs to do something." What the government (WE are supposed to be the government) needs to do is quit acting like our nannies, run the legal, and infrastructure system, look after national defense, and go away.

We are in Canada though so the government needs to be all things to all people. I know I can leave if I don't like it.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:53 PM

Pier Pressure is on a distinguished road

So instead of a dictatorship, the 51% majority steps into the place of a single dictator. Not much difference there. People are still trying to run others' lives under the guise of "what is good for your health". People should have the freedom to choose, and businesses should have the freedom to choose.

I mean, lets face it, terrorists probably tell their children to blow themselves up in the interest of "what is good for your health in the next life".

Just keep chipping away at personal freedoms. And then when they find out that something YOU are addicted to or enjoy is "not good for your health" - you can join in on the other side of the coin.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

I like the "No Smoking" rules, but when is the government going to really tax the crap out of the tobacco industry and the fast food industry. The answer is they won't. It is both industries that are major contributors to the health issues faced by most individuals faced with smoke or weight related issues. Smoking is an addiction, no doubt about it, I think the fast food industry creates food addictions as well. IMO. It is the society we have all created, before it used to be advertising by the tobacco industry stating how cool it was to smoke, then the fast food industry came along and geared their product to the fast paced youth of the day. Try going into any fast food restaurant and look at the people in there...nuff said. Watch the movie "Supersize me". Don't hold your breathe about the government doing anything because it boils down to one thing.. "MONEY" Nothing else, as most of the players are major contributors to all the goverments in one way or another. So until we have politicians in this country who can't be bought or actually are able to fight the system and they would have to have some major sized kahona's to do that, it will probably not change very much. As a famous comedian said, "I don't want to go off on a rant here" but really whether you are or are not a smoker or a fast food junkie we all contribute in one way or another. If there was no market for it, it wouldn't be around plain and simple. So until everybody in the world says NO, it will be here for a long time.... I can make my personal choices of whether I go to a fast food restaurant or a pub that allows smoking. But I can't tell my neighbor to quit smoking or drinking. Whether its for his/her own good or not. So if you smoke, I hope you quit for your own health, if you frequently eat fast food I hope you quit or at least cut back for your own health. Have a great day people.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I hate rules. I think the government should p*** off. I have a parking ticket from them on my desk right now. Screw them!! I should be able to park where I choose, when I choose. I didn't elect them to give me tickets. Another thing. Heroin. I want to sell it, but they won't let me. Some stupid rule about selling drugs. Well, I'm only trying to sell to my user friends, and they WANT me to sell it. Why can't I do this?? Stupid 51% dictatorship. I wouldn't have voted for them if I knew I couldn't sell drugs. I'd even meet in the middle and sell coke, but no, same rule applies. I don't get it. They grow pot and sell it, and I can't sell heroin??? WTF? I could sell you a Big Mac, but not smack. Is there a difference?? I think not. That's just me though.
And I don't want to dwell on things, but this peeing on the sidewalk thing, it's kinda got me going. Whyt can't I just whip it out and pee anywhere I want? Ok, the women prolly voted against it, but really, if people don't want to look at it, they can just close their eyes. It has no direct health risks, well, unless they touch it. So?? No, stoopid gov won't let me. It's a law they say. Same with smoking and heroin. More laws. When will all these laws end?? Do we really need them?? I say NO!!! I think I gotta move somewhere I can smoke my heroin anywhere I want and pee on anyone that complains about it. Suggestions anyone??