Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 04-15-2010, 01:01 PM

pirate is on a distinguished road
Default Diamond hole saw

Just thought I would share that Rona has a new line called Eco that has diamond hole saw for quite cheep. I thought ( poor memory) that a 1.5" was close to 30$ but so far the only one that has them is the one in the NE of Calgary. But currently they are out more comming in according to the guy there.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:24 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default hole saw

remember you get what you paid for-if it is for a one time use then no problem-but if you are going to be doing multiple cuts i would go for a more expensive one-you also have to look and see if it isn't warped-i bought a dewalt (really crappy company now)6 " hole saw and it was off center by 3/8 of an inch.at the same time i bought a set of diamond hole saws at summit tools(8 different sizes) for around $80 and they have worked out fine-but i wouldn't use them more than 4 times before replacement.the average diamond holesaw runs about $80
Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 PM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

Mono? are these the good ones or the bad ones?
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...ass-drill-bits
Old 04-15-2010, 10:24 PM

Dyspnea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocus View Post
remember you get what you paid for-if it is for a one time use then no problem-but if you are going to be doing multiple cuts i would go for a more expensive one-you also have to look and see if it isn't warped-i bought a dewalt (really crappy company now)6 " hole saw and it was off center by 3/8 of an inch.at the same time i bought a set of diamond hole saws at summit tools(8 different sizes) for around $80 and they have worked out fine-but i wouldn't use them more than 4 times before replacement.the average diamond holesaw runs about $80

I have to disagree of this, I bought two hole saws on Ebay, shipped for 25 dollars. They were "cheap" but very well built. I used them to cut four holes each and to be honest they could probably do 2-3 more each. Paying more isn't alway going to give you better quality.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

I have gotten a number of out holes out of the "cheapies" so they aren't that bad.

Garry, if you are looking for hole saws check out mops.ca. I think they are the same as the ones BRS carries but will cost you less.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:49 PM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

Thanks mate.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:20 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocus View Post
My workplace sells a 1.5" diamond holesaw for $17.99 .. I can get about 8 holes out of one through 6mm glass. They're the same brand you bought from summit tools, 'samona' brand.

Dewalt doesn't make diamond holesaws as far as I know of, and it's not in their catalogue.

$80 for a diamond bit? Do you mean a coring bit? If so .. don't use it on glass!
Old 04-15-2010, 11:50 PM

Default hole saws

the venting seems to be ok but check the amount of diamond encrusted on the hole saws -as for the sanoma brands-these holesaws are good for about 4 cuts through 3/4 glass-thats why i bought one to replace the set gradually that cost me $80 for one bit-when i buy my tools i sometimes buy cheap to get a quick job done then i will gradually replace them with something that will last me a lifetime.the 2"bit i bought i will probably never have to replace where i have worn out 3 of the sanoma bits-as i said you get what you paid for
Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 PM

Default hole saws

sorry i was using dewalt as an example-that was a regular hole saw i bought for construction.and it wasn't a coring bit-it is made for glass and stonework(cabnetry),but will last me more than i will be able to use it
Old 04-16-2010, 01:09 AM

MikeInToronto is on a distinguished road

The THK holesaws from Hong Kong (on Ebay) will get you about 4-5 holes on 3/8" glass. Considering they cost under $15 and shipping is free, at $3 a hole they are well worth the price.