Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 09-14-2010, 02:24 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Agree with all that except the SPS/random flow bit. I think that's been hyped a bit much. I might also be saying that because I can't currently afford any sexy controlled powerheads but my sps are very happy.

(first response to your first real comeback post)
I MISSED THIS!!!

Random flow doesn't need a fancy controlled powerhead...hex's have lots of angles to bounce current off of silly nilly.
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:24 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

one thing I didn't see mentions is it isnt so much a case of to much flow but how you flow is.

My last tank had a flow rate equal to 125X the size of the tank, my new one I will be shooting for 150X, but while there are benifits to massive water movment you have to do it right.

you don't want a power head like a maxijet making your flow as this is way to concentrated and will kill corals that are to close, what you want is pumps like Hydor Korailia, or tunze which create a large lamaner flow instead of a water jet. the idea is to get the whole water colume moving.
when this is set up right you can have massive turn overs but when you put your hand in the water all you will ever feel is a gentle current everywhere in the tank.

what I would recomend for you is to start of by adding two 425gal/hr Hydor Korailia and play with them to get a gentle flow through out the tank and see how it works for you. that will give you about a 25X turnover.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.