Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-18-2015, 02:40 PM

Icefire is on a distinguished road
Default Importing SPS/Fish from Bali

Hi,

Currently doing my homework to stock a new tank full of Maricultured Acro and fish. I found a supplier in Bali that will send to my airport no problem and provide CITES export permit.

What is required on the Canadian side? I would like some experience from people how done it legally the right way.

For those that would say ask a LFS, forget that, no deal to be made for 50+ colony locally...
Old 12-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I would contact one of the vendors here and ask them what kind of deal you can get on a few boxes of colonies. Be aware, my experience with boxes is a few nice pieces, the rest not stuff you would typically want. The suppliers always promise stuff, but you get whatever they toss in the box. Often duplicates.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:05 PM

Still, I don't think it's a good idea, getting 50 colony shipped oversea to a supplyer in Toronto, than get them to Montreal here a few day later, that would stress them too much. Also, paying twice the shipping?

Maricultured colonies sell for 40-80$ in Montreal, mostly in the 40-60$, buying 50 of them at that price is not cheap while I can get them almost a dime for a dollars oversea.

I understand exporter can be liar, tell them they have all the one you want and than ship you brown acro, be I'll take a guess, looking at their list of fish/sps do give me some hope.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:12 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefire View Post
Maricultured colonies sell for 40-80$ in Montreal, mostly in the 40-60$, buying 50 of them at that price is not cheap while I can get them almost a dime for a dollars oversea.
Not once you pay for shipping and permits. Plus all the duplicates and less appealing corals. Don't forget, they always show you the nicest photos. Not to mention you will pay in US dollars for the shipping and permits which is 1.39 right now. On top of that, you'll be shipping to a PERSON, not business to business, so chances are the boxes will be stopped by the CBSA and get a very thorough inspection, often leading to delays of a day or more. If those corals die during shipping delay, the Bali company will not refund you. Everyone thinks the way you do until they try it themselves. It won't be as awesome as you're thinking it will be.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
On top of that, you'll be shipping to a PERSON, not business to business, so chances are the boxes will be stopped by the CBSA and get a very thorough inspection, often leading to delays of a day or more.
Having a business, I could easily do it Business to Business as I have my import # and a broker if required. Billing myself wouldn't be a problem neither.

Even if you factor Cites permit, Airway shipping, US exchange, it's still miles away from 40-80$.

I have a hard time beliving a LFS/Online store would reduce their cut to a minimum just as a service... Even the LFS where I go, they won't bulge more than 5-10% on lot.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:52 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Well, good luck then. Please let us know how it goes for you.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:08 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefire View Post
Even if you factor Cites permit, Airway shipping, US exchange, it's still miles away from 40-80$.
You're probably looking at near $35 per colony landed. Add that to the fact you won't be happy with 70% of what you get, I'd look at other options. I've bought many boxes of corals, and I've never found it worth the trouble. I'd go for a bulk order of frags from a vendor, even if I have to wait longer for a full look.

Certainly up to you, but I'll bet you a 20 that I get to say I told ya so

I have ordered from one supplier, by inventory number, and didn't get a single thing I ordered. But hey, it's a fun experience.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:23 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Suppliers probably have to compete for repeat business so save their best for the larger importers. But if you are a small and/or one time buyer, you might just get their crap corals. Just a thought...
Old 12-18-2015, 04:25 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Suppliers probably have to compete for repeat business so save their best for the larger importers. But if you are a small and/or one time buyer, you might just get their crap corals. Just a thought...
Agreed. I have helped unpack dozens and dozens of orders to my LFS. Each box usually contains 12 to 16 pieces, depending on size. If any given box ever had 3 pieces I liked, it was a good box. Once, I saw a box with probably half that were nice, but it was a special favor from the importer, IIRC.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:43 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Plus all the really sweet pieces go to Japan and US as a general rule of thumb. Canada is a small market and so only if your supplier is known to you and will hand-pick your corals will you get anywhere close to what you want and what you order. From my own experience, even if they tell you one thing to get you interested in doing such an order, when it actually comes time to deliver, all sorts of new charges will be added on to maximize their profits and minimize your savings. Also, right now is a terrible time to order a box of corals for two major reasons:

1) Winter time - shipping across Canada is iffy at best when the shipment is in transit for that long and heat packs may not be available or may no longer be working during the long cross-country flight after the long trans-Pacific flight.

2) Canadian dollar SUX right now and ALL coral and fish shipments are calculated in US dollars so this really takes a bite out of your potential savings. Shipping costs and the US exchange are the two biggest complaints I hear from the local fish stores here and you're adding an additional cross-country flight on top of that.