Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-11-2015, 07:27 PM

Wretch is on a distinguished road
Default Millwright Apprenticeship

I just thought I would throw this out there as there seems to be a few people in the trades on here. I just finished the millwright foundations program at BCIT and am looking for an apprenticeship. Having a tough time as no one seems to want to take on an apprentice. If anyone knows of any opportunities or could point me in the right direction shoot me a PM. Grateful for any help that can be given. Thanks all.

Joe
Old 05-12-2015, 12:55 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Are you willing to move into the interior? The pulp and lumber mills up here in Prince George, Quesnel, Fort St John, Mackenzie etc often advertise for Millwrights. However with the recent layoffs in the oil patch many skilled tradespeople have come back to our communities making it more difficult for unestablished workers to find employment.

I recently completed my Red Seal as a Carpenter and my experience is that no employers want an apprentice. They will hire a helper or a Journeyman but they don't want the hassle of administering an apprentice. If there is a union that will admit you and submit your hours to the ITA that is an excellent way to go. You may not get any work through them but at least the work you do get will be logged so that you can continue schooling and advance through your apprenticeship.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 05-12-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Are you willing to move into the interior? The pulp and lumber mills up here in Prince George, Quesnel, Fort St John, Mackenzie etc often advertise for Millwrights. However with the recent layoffs in the oil patch many skilled tradespeople have come back to our communities making it more difficult for unestablished workers to find employment.

I recently completed my Red Seal as a Carpenter and my experience is that no employers want an apprentice. They will hire a helper or a Journeyman but they don't want the hassle of administering an apprentice. If there is a union that will admit you and submit your hours to the ITA that is an excellent way to go. You may not get any work through them but at least the work you do get will be logged so that you can continue schooling and advance through your apprenticeship.
So far this have been my experience. They want you as a helper but dont want to register you as an apprentice or they want you to start in some production position with a maybe, possibly, might get a chance at an apprenticeship. Its funny cause everyone wants the journeyman but no one wants to help make the journeyman.

I dont really want to leave the lower mainland as I own a place here and wife has a good job here. So I will just keep grinding away hoping for the best.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:43 AM

Its a long hard road but that is ultimately what I did. I might have been able to stick with one employer and have them apprentice me but it would have required me to work away from home. Instead I bounced around from in-town job to job with a variety of different employers until I had all of my hours and schooling done. A local Carpenter's Union (CMAW 1998) sponsored me throughout my apprenticeship while mostly non-union supervisors/employers signed off on my hours.

What really helped to kick start my employment was a government program that may or may not still exist. I think it was called Targeted Wage Subsidies or maybe that was just its function. I was unemployed and my EI coverage had run out which were both required to qualify for the program. What it did was reimburse an employer for half of my wages up to a certain point who would employ me in the trade/occupation that I was seeking to enter. So a home builder took me on for about 6 months (the life of the program) paid me $17/hr while the gov reimbursed him for half. I got the experience that I needed to get hired on by the next guy and he got dirt cheep labour for the summer. Win win. Try talking to your local employment assistance offices, they may be able to refer you to the same or similar program.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 05-12-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Its a long hard road but that is ultimately what I did. I might have been able to stick with one employer and have them apprentice me but it would have required me to work away from home. Instead I bounced around from in-town job to job with a variety of different employers until I had all of my hours and schooling done. A local Carpenter's Union (CMAW 1998) sponsored me throughout my apprenticeship while mostly non-union supervisors/employers signed off on my hours.

What really helped to kick start my employment was a government program that may or may not still exist. I think it was called Targeted Wage Subsidies or maybe that was just its function. I was unemployed and my EI coverage had run out which were both required to qualify for the program. What it did was reimburse an employer for half of my wages up to a certain point who would employ me in the trade/occupation that I was seeking to enter. So a home builder took me on for about 6 months (the life of the program) paid me $17/hr while the gov reimbursed him for half. I got the experience that I needed to get hired on by the next guy and he got dirt cheep labour for the summer. Win win. Try talking to your local employment assistance offices, they may be able to refer you to the same or similar program.
I believe the program still exists. I am going to Work BC tomorrow to see if I can talk to someone about it. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:

I just finished having a meeting and was approved for the wage subsidy. Now I just need to find someone who wants a half price apprentice. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:45 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Universities, hospitals, building management companies, pump repair companies, recycling/waste management companies, food processing plants, manufacturing plants, the city or municipality, airports, shipping docks, industrial construction companies, etc. all hire millwrights.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:08 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Pulpmills and sawmill mills are both looking for millwrights I know canfor pulp is looking for trades as is west Fraser

I work at canfor Northwood pulp and we are short on millwrights bbt so are the other 2 pulp mills in town both owned by canfor as well. If your interested you can apply online through www.canfor.com
Old 05-28-2015, 02:04 AM

Glad I could help.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 05-29-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
Pulpmills and sawmill mills are both looking for millwrights I know canfor pulp is looking for trades as is west Fraser

I work at canfor Northwood pulp and we are short on millwrights bbt so are the other 2 pulp mills in town both owned by canfor as well. If your interested you can apply online through www.canfor.com
Thanks for the info. I am trying to stay some what local at the moment and thats what is making things harder. I did take a look though just nothing local. I will keep checking. Thanks.