Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-10-2015, 12:21 AM

Wretch is on a distinguished road
Default Flow

I am currently running 2 Jebao wp-10s and a hydor koralia 750 in my 54g corner tank. I have just started adding SPS to my tank, I have about 10 frags now. I am looking at trying to get rid of the Koralia as it is huge and right in the middle of my tank. I am was thinking about getting 2 Jebao rw-4s as they are supposed to put out more flow then the wp-10s but are the same size. Then I noticed the price for 2 rw-4s is basically the same as 2 rw-8. Question is if I put 2 rw-8 in a 54g and ran them on low setting would it be too much flow?
Old 04-10-2015, 02:56 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Go with bigger Cuz u can always turn them down and still be able to use them if u later decide U want a larger tank.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason604 View Post
Go with bigger Cuz u can always turn them down and still be able to use them if u later decide U want a larger tank.
+1
Old 04-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretch View Post
Question is if I put 2 rw-8 in a 54g and ran them on low setting would it be too much flow?
Ya, possibly. I've done the buy big and turn down route, didn't work well. Regretted it and wished I'd bought the smaller ones. Without a controller, you can only turn them down so far, and that might not be enough. Buying the wrong thing because it's a "deal" isn't always the right choice.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Ya, possibly. I've done the buy big and turn down route, didn't work well. Regretted it and wished I'd bought the smaller ones. Without a controller, you can only turn them down so far, and that might not be enough. Buying the wrong thing because it's a "deal" isn't always the right choice.
This was why I was hoping to hear from rw-8 owners to know if the low setting was actually low. Not just a minor difference from max. I am running about 2750gh right now with 3 power heads.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
This was why I was hoping to hear from rw-8 owners to know if the low setting was actually low. Not just a minor difference from max. I am running about 2750gh right now with 3 power heads.
I think Wayne is running 2 in his 40(ish)g frag tank and turned down they're ok. Depends on the dimensions of the tank really.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I think Wayne is running 2 in his 40(ish)g frag tank and turned down they're ok. Depends on the dimensions of the tank really.
Well having a corner tank makes for strange dimensions. 22" deep 38" long at the points and 27" wide a the farthest point.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:33 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm running a RW8 at one end of my 90 g and a WP25 at the other end, works very well.
Your question on turn down on the RW8 I just tried it on low and it seems turn way down on low in W1 mode, one thing I like about these is a wider flow pattern.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:46 PM

I think I am going to try 1 rw-8 on the more open side of my tank. Then I will move my 2 wp-10s to the other side on either side of the tall rock formation. I will still have 3 powerheads but will only see 2 of them.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:55 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Here's my take: More flow is better than not enough. And too much is just right. And remember, pump flow goes down between cleanings as they accumulate algae and calcium.