Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-18-2002, 01:35 AM

fishnut is on a distinguished road
Default Closed Loop; Tank Turnover

What measurements and materials would I need for a closed loop for my reef ? (Any instructions would also be appreciated). :D

Exactly what is meant by tank turnover - the number of times the tank volume passes through the sump per hour, or the total volume of water circulated within the tank by means of powerheads per hour ? :confused:
Old 08-18-2002, 03:05 AM

Terrance Wong is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Tank circulation like many variables (ie. temp., calcium, lighting hours, water changes, etc.) are highly debated. You'll hear many say there should be 5-10 changes per hour (5-10 times the volume of the tank of circulation per hour, counting all powerheads, and overflow).

Others would say you need 15-20 changes...

Some say random motion is more important than total volume, while others would say you can't live without wavemakers.

For me, I always try to recreate ocean conditions...or at least as much as my pockets can afford. But even than, you have to ask yourself what part of the reef you're trying to recreate? A shallow lagoon, a barrier reef, a deep cliff side, etc...

You have to keep in mind the type of animals you're planning to have. SPS and anenomes require a lot of current...but softies and LPS actually prefer medium current.

I keep primarily SPS now, thus I prefer a lot of current.

I use one return pump feeding my Seaswirl (1000 gph), one 400 gph ph on one corner, and a 700 gph in the other corner in my 75 gal tank. My sps and fish love it...

On a side note, I'm also trying another powerhead that uses a propeller. You can find it at www.reeftec.com

It creates a much larger cross section current as opposed to the traditional powerheads.

Regards,

Terrance
Old 08-18-2002, 04:04 AM

GinKu is on a distinguished road

wow the video for that powerhead looks really sweet
do u think u can make one ur self...i mean all u would need is to go to a hobby shop get one of those boat propeller glue it on the powerhead propeller and get a lil make it like how it look and there u go oh ya get a wave maker and there u go home made ReefTec Current Wave Generator
do u guys think it's possible?
Old 08-18-2002, 07:50 AM

Kenzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ginku:
... and there u go home made ReefTec Current Wave Generator
do u guys think it's possible?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shouldn't be too hard, in Ontario Walmart carries the pumps and after that a good hobby store should carry the props. I'm looking for something to use for the shaft but that won't be a big deal.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:32 PM

The hardest thing is attaching the propellor to the shaft. I actually bought a few propellors, but in the end couldn't find the right size plastic tubing. The PE1 shaft is 5/32", while all the boat propellors I've found, have bore sizes closer to 3/8".

Besides, I think we should support our fellow reefers like Jimmy, that way others might also try to market a good idea.

I'll let you guys know once I get the thing running.

Terrance
Old 08-18-2002, 01:33 PM

Oh Kenzy, how much were the pumps at Walmart?