Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 04-14-2021, 12:38 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

I have a 6 foot 150 with plans for a 350 soon. I have a lot of aquariums and been doing this 10 years if that helps
Old 04-14-2021, 03:51 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I have a 6 foot 150 with plans for a 350 soon. I have a lot of aquariums and been doing this 10 years if that helps
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately a 350 is too small. I wish that would work, that is within the range I would be willing to set up for him but he needs over 500G depending on the dimensions. Probably larger.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:19 PM

Anyone have any contacts at the Vancouver Aquarium? I would still like to give that a good try before I commit to sending him to another home aquarium.

I do have one good option at 700G but still feel long term that it's too small.

I know the aquarium is a long shot but gotta try.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:33 PM

darb is on a distinguished road

As you probably know, the Vancouver aquarium was recently sold which probably isn't for the better.

For a contact, you could try the "other" BC forum, they have a Vancouver Aquatic Hobbyist Society which I think used to meet at the Van Aq; not sure if it is still active or still meeting though.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
As you probably know, the Vancouver aquarium was recently sold which probably isn't for the better.

For a contact, you could try the "other" BC forum, they have a Vancouver Aquatic Hobbyist Society which I think used to meet at the Van Aq; not sure if it is still active or still meeting though.
Thanks! Well, I don't see it as good but not bad either. The alternative was the aquarium shutting down, which looked very likely not too long ago.

Luckily another member here has been able to make contact with the aquarium for me and we are waiting on an answer.

I think I will also check out that 'other' forum (think I know where you mean) and see if they have any ideas. Good advice.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:10 PM

Still looking for a contact at the Vancouver aquarium. I got some help from another member who was able to speak with someone there. As expected, they are not taking any animals at the moment but I am still hoping to speak directly with someone if possible.

This guy is growing fast - he eats 4+ shrimps and a few clams every day, but is still hungry after. My tank can't really keep up with this demand much longer.

I would say he is about 8-9" now, doubled in size over the past 4 months. I think he is growing about an inch per month right now!
Old 05-18-2021, 06:44 PM

Carson. is on a distinguished road

Hello

How many gallons is your tank? You say 400g - 500g would be suitable, and of course bigger would be better. You know much more about this species and specific specimen than do I, however live aquaria lists minimum tank size at 300g. Of course, they as a retailer have a vested interest to sell these fish to as many people as possible, but I find these ratings are typically accurate. I say this because I am setting up a 300g fowlr, within the month if not the next. It is not a tank, its more of a tub. It is 69" long, 63" wide, and 24" deep. Its an oval. This provides more swimming room than a lot of tanks because of its shape. If you can't find a home for your beloved pet, I'd be glad to take care of it. I planned on keeping a puffer anyway.

I can give you more details if needed, let me know what you think.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson. View Post
Hello

How many gallons is your tank? You say 400g - 500g would be suitable, and of course bigger would be better. You know much more about this species and specific specimen than do I, however live aquaria lists minimum tank size at 300g. Of course, they as a retailer have a vested interest to sell these fish to as many people as possible, but I find these ratings are typically accurate. I say this because I am setting up a 300g fowlr, within the month if not the next. It is not a tank, its more of a tub. It is 69" long, 63" wide, and 24" deep. Its an oval. This provides more swimming room than a lot of tanks because of its shape. If you can't find a home for your beloved pet, I'd be glad to take care of it. I planned on keeping a puffer anyway.

I can give you more details if needed, let me know what you think.
I agree that Live Aquaria is somewhat accurate but not this time. I guess it's a tough fish to list requirements for. In my opinion, there is no home aquarium that is actually suitable which is why I am trying to contact the Vancouver Aquarium. They should not be sold and I wish I had not accidentally mis-identified this fish when I bought him. Anyways...

The problem with something like 69" long, even at 63" wide is that potentially this fish would be more than half the length of that tub. They sometimes get listed as growing to 48" although I have spoken to some experts who said to more realistically expect 32-36" max. They also said often in home aquariums it's even as small as 30".

Then there is filtration. He is eating so much at 8/9" and I can't imagine how much he will eat at 30"!! In theory a dozen shrimp and half a dozen clams per day. I am just cautious about passing this problem off to someone else.

I potentially have a 700G tank for him to go to but I have still been holding out for the Aquarium, which I know is unlikely but would be the best home for this animal.

300G wouldn't be large enough for more than a few years I would think. My tank is 7' x 3' and I can't imagine him being in there for more than another year... if my filtration can handle him. Right now the tank is struggling to keep up.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:58 AM

Carson. is on a distinguished road

Understood. In that case 300g won't be enough. As you touched upon, some fish don't grow as large in captivity as they do in the wild. Some fish grow according to the space they are provided, others will continue to grow beyond their given space. Seems like the latter is the case which isn't good for us or the fish. Good luck with things.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson. View Post
Understood. In that case 300g won't be enough. As you touched upon, some fish don't grow as large in captivity as they do in the wild. Some fish grow according to the space they are provided, others will continue to grow beyond their given space. Seems like the latter is the case which isn't good for us or the fish. Good luck with things.
Thanks. Having kept puffers for a very long time, I would recommend you try either a Porcupine or if you prefer a larger Arothron family puffer, something like a Mappa. I thought I was buying a Mappa when I got this guy. They still reach about 18-24" but from what I have seen, usually closer to 18"

I'm sure you know this but QT puffers and watch for internal parasites. At least 50% of the puffers I have kept had internal parasites. Sometimes it was hard to see symptoms until years later but slow growth was also a bit of a give away.