Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-20-2012, 07:21 PM

JMes is on a distinguished road

Do you guys find your LEDS make the tank look dull campared to T5 and MH.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post
Its really a limitation of the fixtures you bought not leds. The radions and Vegas provide full spectrum (at least closer to it) as they have more than blue and white leds.
Nope, just finished reading the same results from Radion and Vertex owners. It's a LED thing, not an AI thing. One guy is going to try the new Mitras, but we'll see. Although even if those do the job, the price puts them out of my reach.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMes View Post
Do you guys find your LEDS make the tank look dull campared to T5 and MH.
No, not really dull, and I love the color and shimmer, just that some corals, not all, have lost some color.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
That will teach you to switch from the halides you vowed to never leave.
Yes, I'm starting to regret it. The LED have lots of positives, just not in the SPS color department Don't get me wrong, most of my corals are great, just not as great as they have been under Radiums!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:45 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Nope, just finished reading the same results from Radion and Vertex owners. It's a LED thing, not an AI thing. One guy is going to try the new Mitras, but we'll see. Although even if those do the job, the price puts them out of my reach.
I'm not buying that if I can adjust my radions to make my yellow tang red I'm sure I can make the corrals pop

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 10-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
I'm not buying that if I can adjust my radions to make my yellow tang red I'm sure I can make the corrals pop
Then you have better light tuning skills than the guy who posted, as well as the radion tanks I've seen in person. One of my "corals of concern" is also in a radion lit tank and has the same issues.
Sorry, while the Radion is a fantastic looking unit, it's not really any better than a Sol. Perhaps a bit different in spread vs. penetration, but that's it. Radion, SOL, Vega, Vertex, all reported to have the same deficiencies in SPS color production. Maybe the Mitras will make up for that, maybe not.
LED have a lot of great features, like I said, but they do not match a 400w Radium MH.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
further on this, it isn't about making it look a certain color, it's about it being a certain color. My pink and blue milli was pink with blue, even out of the tank in daylight. Now it's a blue milli, no pink. you can blast all the red at it you want, and maybe make it (and the tang) look red or pink, but it isn't
Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 PM

Perhaps that was a bad example, I meant that I'm sure with the right program you could advice the spectrum you desire. Its just very time consuming to do this so most people don't.

My other summer hobby:
Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Perhaps that was a bad example, I meant that I'm sure with the right program you could advice the spectrum you desire. Its just very time consuming to do this so most people don't.
I dunno, I see guys selling their LEDs to go back to MH or T5, you'd think they would invest the time to play first, as that's mostly free. But so far, I've yet to see a SPS tank under LED that matches a MH tank (given top end of both )

But, we digress, this isn't a thread about justifying the extra money spent, just looking for someone that's had luck returning colors lost with LED, regardless of brand.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I dunno, I see guys selling their LEDs you'do back to MH or T5, you'd think they would invest the time to play first, as that's mostly free. But so far, I've yet to see a SPS tank under LED that matches a MH tank (given top end of both )

But, we digress, this isn't a thread about justifying the extra money spent, just looking for someone that's had luck returning colors lost with LED, regardless of brand.
I apologize for hijacking. I think a time goes by you will see the full sps tanks like yours under the leds

My other summer hobby: