Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Contest 2012

Old 10-27-2012, 02:44 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

I'm actually not site Shelley as we didn't test. We do have a aide now though. Basically hos liverock isn't live and is not porous basically small boulders. The other is with 40lbs of solid rock there's isn't much water left in a 17g tank.....no water and no filter are a bad combo.

I sent Garrett home with about 25lbs of nice purple mature rock right from my system nice and porous too.

Now he has a fresh start with new rock and new water, small wait for 2 weeks then he comes back over for our first water test.

In the meantime he needs to get himself a small decent Skimmer and I gave him some rowaphos to try out

Sometimes a stepback is needed to move forward.

I believe his dense liverock and small water volume made for a unpredictable system....no stability.

Good luck buddy remember come see me in 2 weeks and we move from there.....in the meantime go for a nice hike or build a snowman....the tank doesn't exist for 2 weeks k lol
Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Ah. That explains a lot, doesn't it! It makes sense now, as the weight of the rock seemed to be far too high to squeeze into a tank that size. I'm glad you took the time to meet with him in person and get to the root of the system's issues.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 PM

coolhandgoose is on a distinguished road

This is why this site and the members on it rock!
Glad you got him on the right track.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:01 AM

nanoreefnewbie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
ok so now we have a game plan right , use only the liverock i gave you , start from scratch, all new water.leave alone completely for 2 weeks and low light period.

get to buying yourself a decent skimmer and one of the small reactors i showed you and use the gfo you got(remember passive is better thaan nothing)the sooner these are hooked up and running the better off youll be in the long run.

remember all the little tips and in 2 weeks or so come see me again ill give you a tester frag to try out and we will do a water test and talk about some more ideas and tips

nice meeting you cheers!!
Yea thank you sooo much denny your awsome ur set ups are awsome..i bought a red Sea prism deluxe works awsome...and yea it run lights a few hrs too admire the rock
Old 10-29-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
I'm actually not site Shelley as we didn't test. We do have a aide now though. Basically hos liverock isn't live and is not porous basically small boulders. The other is with 40lbs of solid rock there's isn't much water left in a 17g tank.....no water and no filter are a bad combo.

I sent Garrett home with about 25lbs of nice purple mature rock right from my system nice and porous too.

Now he has a fresh start with new rock and new water, small wait for 2 weeks then he comes back over for our first water test.

In the meantime he needs to get himself a small decent Skimmer and I gave him some rowaphos to try out

Sometimes a stepback is needed to move forward.

I believe his dense liverock and small water volume made for a unpredictable system....no stability.

Good luck buddy remember come see me in 2 weeks and we move from there.....in the meantime go for a nice hike or build a snowman....the tank doesn't exist for 2 weeks k lol
Yea a step back was needed took a huge leep towards tho...i got a skimmer got ,my mini 7 gallon sump goin with the algea and red Sea weed you gave me...im not gunna lie got a free tiny frag had too throw in.too see it survives or what.but other then that what tank lol...
Old 10-29-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandgoose View Post
This is why this site and the members on it rock!
Glad you got him on the right track.
I'm glad too lol..If he didn't help me I would have been tucked lol
Old 11-07-2012, 01:55 AM

Exclamation Dropping out of contest

Well after alot of trials and problems I'm sad too say I'll be dropping out of this year's nano contest...now that sand is rinsed well new live rock in now the tank is leaking..so ill be shutting down tank...buttt for good news I will not be dropping out of hooby but in fact advancing as I upgraded too a huge cube tank...now that been said I'm on the hunt for live rock..anyone got some nice live rock???