Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-26-2008, 08:14 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
see?

Nope sorry I don't see??

Regardless I was asking questions not stating facts and my numbers used where examples, apply what you think the numbers are and you'll still see the same results. The point was you weren't looking at it from a marketing point of view.

But seriously what percentages do you think are accurate?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
What percentage of people in the saltwater hobby do you think have a 5.5g tank or smaller? 5% maybe, and that's probably generous. Now what percentage of that 5% would actually spend upwards of $200 on a light fixture? Maybe 25% of the original 5% which means your total market is only 1.25% of people in the hobby. Oh yeah that's a great business move, it would take 100 years to pay for the R&D.

sounds like someone stating facts and not asking questions.
Look at all of those unsubstantiated numbers you threw up there to try and make your point...lol

Give it up, eat your cake or have it, don't try and do both.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:57 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

little surprised with the childish attitudes of some in this thread
Old 11-26-2008, 08:57 PM

The-new-guy is on a distinguished road

here is an article I found on the use of xenon lighting being used for plant growth.

There was way to much technical mumbo jumbo for me to read the entire thing.

There is no right or wrong just what works

peace out!!

ps. my dad can beat up your dad. LOL
Old 11-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
little surprised with the childish attitudes of some in this thread
really mature of you to point that out.
Thank you for the info.

Was under the impression this forum was for everyone, childish included?

That article is a doozy, a serious read for sure but they definitely seem to have addressed the issue of xenon as a substitute for plant required solar spectrum but they seem kinda wishy washy in their conclusion.

seems like SPhelps could probably shed some layman light on it....
?

I'm definitely telling my dad.

Last edited by Whatigot; 11-26-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:51 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-new-guy View Post

ps. my dad can beat up your dad. LOL
ahah ahahah
Old 11-26-2008, 09:53 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
some people on this thread were WONDERING at the possibilities but I don't see anyone here saying that it's definite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabandit View Post
How many more times are you going to call me a liar? The FACTS do exist I've seen them.

I'm confused...? Are you guys on the same team or different ones??
Old 11-26-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps
What percentage of people in the saltwater hobby do you think have a 5.5g tank or smaller? 5% maybe, and that's probably generous. Now what percentage of that 5% would actually spend upwards of $200 on a light fixture? Maybe 25% of the original 5% which means your total market is only 1.25% of people in the hobby. Oh yeah that's a great business move, it would take 100 years to pay for the R&D.
sounds like someone stating facts and not asking questions.
Look at all of those unsubstantiated numbers you threw up there to try and make your point...lol

Give it up, eat your cake or have it, don't try and do both.
I still don't get it. Those look like question marks to me and all those "maybes" seem to suggest examples not factual numbers. Are you arguing just for the the sake of arguing or what? And for the second time what numbers do you feel would be more accurate??

And if I buy the whole cake I can eat half and keep the rest.

Last edited by sphelps; 11-26-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to digest that article on Xenon bulbs.
The ones they tested were long-arc bulbs which according to Wikipedia are "frequently used to simulate sunlight". The bulbs they used were 4500w and 10,000w.

Headlights are short-arc and more from Wikipedia
Quote:
Xenon short-arc lamps are low-voltage, high-current, DC devices with a negative temperature coefficient. They require a high voltage pulse in the 50 kV range to start the lamp, and require extremely well regulated dc as the power source. They are also inherently unstable, prone to phenomena such as plasma oscillation and thermal runaway. Because of these characteristics, xenon short-arc lamps require a sophisticated power supply to achieve stable, long-life operation.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 11-26-2008, 11:01 PM

From the article posted by The New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Intro

While most discharge lamps e.g. mercury, sodium, or metal halide lamps emit a more or less pronounced line spectrum, the radiation output of xenon is dominated by a smooth continuum

the continuum is centered around the green spectral range (550 nm)

The present development mainly favours other lamp types, like metal halide lamps and fluorescent lamps for commercial lighting purposes

Results

The radiation penetrating the quartz envelope of a xenon lamp shows an almost flat part with little line structure in the visible range and a pronounced line structure in the IR spectrum
The heat resulting from excess IR absorption by biological tissues will lead to rapid destruction. Excess short-wave UV radiation will also be deleterious to living systems.
Xenon lighting, therefore, requires specially tailored filters which, protect living systems from these spectral irradiances.

xenon lamps should be ideally driven by direct current. This mode, however, results in a reduced lifetime as compared to AC driven xenon lamps.

Metal halide lamps have with regard to the luminous efficiency an advantage of a factor 4 as compared to long arc xenon lamps. This also holds approximately for the PAR region. The main reason is the strong excess IR of xenon radiation.
However, it must be considered that metal halide lighting requires several additional measures, These additional measures reduce the advantage to a factor 2 to 3.

As the IR output of metal halide lamps is much lower, an effective heat control can be achieved by economic glass or water filters. Xenon lamps require more sophisticated and expensive systems of optical filters and cooling techniques to remove the strong excess IR energy.

Despite the relatively low lighting efficiency xenon arcs reach highest artificial luminance concentrated to a single lamp and compare in this respect best with sunlight. Therefore, xenon lamps are unique, for instance, as a light source of projectors and monochromator systems. Furthermore, xenon lamps do practically not need a warming-up time but the full illuminance is available immediately.

The advantage of metal halide lamps is their economical adaptability to biological applications, while xenon lamps provide an almost constant smooth spectral output close to sunlight over a wide range of power.

Conclusion

Therefore , despite considerable competition by other lighting techniques, xenon lamps provide a very useful tool for special purposes. In plant lighting however, they seem to play a less important role as other lamp and lighting developments can meet these particular requirements at lower costs.