Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-12-2006, 02:50 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road
Default 175w SE Hamilton 10k to 175w SE Iwasaki 14k

First of all, I want to update on my green bulb color. After a lot of research into the nipple orientation thing, I read a few testaments to the fact that it depends on the bulb.

We turned the nipples and our Hamilton lights immediately changed color to white.

I had ordered, and now received, my Iwasakis and just put them in tonite. They are exactly the same color, a nice white, at the moment. I will keep the Iwasakis for the better par, but was quite astounded at the difference the nipple orientation made.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:49 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

And all those articles that say it doesn't matter ... weird. I don't know if it's more superstition on my part or what, but I always try to get those things pointing upwards and will adjust the socket if I have to... Glad to know it's not a completely superfluous thing to do that.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

I have tried to always keep them orientated correct but have never seen a difference myself. Thats an interesting observation Deb.

Look forward to your views on the new Iwasaki,s. I,m still sticking with my SA or CV, 14K bulbs for now. Does the Ushio 10K not offer a white/blue light and good bulb life? I always thought it was the best 175 I have seen but I prefer the more blue content and bulb price of the cheaper 14K,s.

I have followed most of the Iwasaki 14K threads over at RC though.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:37 PM

I should have taken some photos. If I am really nice to hubby, maybe one day we can stick them back in to do that. He hates taking fixtures down...

Apparently the Ushio would not have good color on my standard M57 ballast.

The iwasaki's have gone just a bit more blue, which is wonderful ! The coral colors appear nicer. I think I will like them very much !
Old 11-12-2006, 07:40 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Excellent! It's by far my most favourite bulb too. I just keep hoping we'll see more of them. Gotta get the word out about them so that people will want them .. if there's anything to the "supply/demand" economics thing..
Old 11-12-2006, 08:44 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

I must be really dumb because I don't have a clue what you guys are talking about.

Greg
Old 11-12-2006, 09:59 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Do you have much red colour (red coralline or corals) in your tank? Do they show up as the colour red or do they get washed out.

I am on a quest for a metal halide bulb that will show colours like a vho bulb will and I'm not having any luck

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 11-12-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
I must be really dumb because I don't have a clue what you guys are talking about.
Hi Greg,

This lamp here:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...y_Code=mh-175w

I got mine from Reekwerkz though (Ryan and Rusty). Otherwise PremiumAquatics seems to be the only place to pick up this bulb.

It tested very favourably in terms of colour and PAR output (by Sanjay Joshi, sorry I don't have the links handy -- try a search in advancedaquarist.com). And they run on M57 ballasts (i.e., not pulse-start).

Anyhow hope that helps!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
Do you have much red colour (red coralline or corals) in your tank? Do they show up as the colour red or do they get washed out.

I am on a quest for a metal halide bulb that will show colours like a vho bulb will and I'm not having any luck
Yes, and it's all GOOD !! Check out the ballast recommends.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
Just occured to me that maybe you meant that about the nipple orientation and not what an Iwasaki 14k is. Sorry, my dumb.

There's an old ... I dunno if "urban myth" is the right way to put it, but an addage that metal halide bulbs should be screwed into their socket so that the nipple on the arc tube (that little nub thing on the glass) should be pointed upwards, otherwise you don't get the best light colour off the bulbs.

There have been studies to show that it's nonsense, but enough anecdotal evidence (i.e. people saying that it made a difference for them) that it's not complete nonsense.

I made my sockets in my 75g so that I could rotate them if need be, just to make sure my halides are always orientated that way if I can't screw them in any further.

Man, could there be any worse topic to talk about ... things that sound dirty but ain't. I'll try not to make any reference about clams and wrasses while I'm at it. Whoooops, .. um .. never mind.