Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 09-12-2012, 01:23 PM

nanoreefnewbie is on a distinguished road

Oohhh lol I'm dumb haha..yea I can see how that appearing for humans lol..so fish like complete darkness that won't effect corals and how they eat
Old 09-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Which Marineland LED are you using? The Reef Bright one (the stronger of the two) only has 1W LEDs. That's only 23W over a 24"-36" tank. That is not a lot of light. You may very well need to run a longer light cycle: even to keep softies and LPS. You won't be keeping SPS with that light.

I have a 36" four bulb T5 fixture over my 40 breeder, and I need to run a 12 hour light cycle to keep SPS from going completely brown on me.

Edit: Sorry. I should say that you "probably" won't be keeping SPS with that light. Most will be a no-go, but a handful might do okay.

Last edited by Enigma; 09-12-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Which Marineland LED are you using? The Reef Bright one (the stronger of the two) only has 1W LEDs. That's only 23W over a 24"-36" tank. That is not a lot of light. You may very well need to run a longer light cycle: even to keep softies and LPS. You won't be keeping SPS with that light.

I have a 36" four bulb T5 fixture over my 40 breeder, and I need to run a 12 hour light cycle to keep SPS from going completely brown on me.

Edit: Sorry. I should say that you "probably" won't be keeping SPS with that light. Most will be a no-go, but a handful might do okay.
I'm not 100 percent on my light..itsgot 12 lights total...and 1 watt er light yes
Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

If it has 12 lights, I'm assuming you're got the 24-36" "Double Bright" fixture. That's only 0.6W per gallon (based on 20 gallons of water), which is really, really low. A longer light cycle will be a good idea, but your fixture is really going to limit what you can keep for corals.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 PM

[quote=Enigma;745428]If it has 12 lights, I'm assuming you're got the 24-36" "Double Bright" fixture. That's only 0.6W per gallon (based on 20 gallons of water), which is really, really low. A longer light cycle will be a good idea, but your fixture is really going to limit what you can keep for corals.[/QUOTE

I'm not expert so I'm going for hardy corals that the requirements arnt all crazy...but sounds like im in order for a light upgrade here soon lol..thank you for the advice

Tags
cycling, led, light