Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 09-21-2017, 05:03 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
For 15 years I have used nothing more than a $15.00 Kent Float Valve and Gravity.
I raised a 45 gal storage tank 2 feet off the floor and have my Sump with the float valve on the floor with 1/4 feed between them. Setting the float valve will determine and maintain the level of water in the sump. This gives me 3 or 4 weeks without refilling the storage tank.
There you go, gravity is your friend. I use a slight variation on the theme since I don't have a sump & it's not feasible to have a top off container above my display. I use an air pump on a timer to pressurize a 6 gallon glass wine carboy with a rubber stopper in the top. This pushes water through a line to a mechanical furnace humidifier float valve attached to the rim of the display. Good for about 7 days of top off. Has been pretty robust for years, not 15 years, but close to 10. I think I renewed the float valve once. $10 or so at the hardware store.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:21 AM

kyl is on a distinguished road

I have two if the Tunze 3155's. Two years, zero issues at all.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:23 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyfighter View Post
I use some cheap Rio pump that has run dry for days more than once and still works fine.
Same.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I got a good 5 years out of the Tunze system before the sensors started acting up. I had purchased it used so it was probably at least 8 years old when I finally sold it. I should have kept the pump... because I've been burning through small Maxi Jets at a rate of one every 2 years since then. I think what I have on there now is a little Hydor because thats all our local retailers carry. But at least with it I can buy replacement impellers if/when they break apart.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour