Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-17-2014, 12:51 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Hold it .....

Leave the Kalk out of the equation while you're using 2-part - completely (I mentioned this once before)
Leave it in a cupboard in case you decide to stop using 2-part, but otherwise forget that you own it
Kalk will mess with your 2-part and confuse you

Having your pH drop overnight isn't an issue, and anything reading 8-8.3 during the day is all good
Don't fret over your pH, focus on your Big 3 and take it slow

You're trying to micromanage your tank and need to step back
Test your tank at the same time every day. I test mine about mid light cycle. You can do whatever you like, but test it away from dosing cycles

Just keep things between;
7-8dKh
410-420ish

And don't panic if you're a bit off the #s

Start by testing daily with your dosers running and find a balance by adjusting your timers
Then switch to testing every few days or so once you see it's balanced
Then you can switch to weekly testing, or even go longer

Stop dosing Kalk
Old 11-22-2014, 11:28 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy
Default Update

So, the Alk has been in the 7-8 range for over a week now and the STN continues. I fragged my slimer and some other acros, covered the skeleton part and part of the healthy tissue with Ecoteck coral glue and glued the frags. The STN continued past the glue on the frags and continued on the mother colonies too. I'm out of ideas and really bummed out!

My paramters are where I want them: Ca at 400-420, Alk at 7-8, PO4 at 0.03, nitrates undetectable. I fed aminos, I fed my fish heavily, etc. to no avail.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Old 11-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Banned

denny_C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
So, the Alk has been in the 7-8 range for over a week now and the STN continues. I fragged my slimer and some other acros, covered the skeleton part and part of the healthy tissue with Ecoteck coral glue and glued the frags. The STN continued past the glue on the frags and continued on the mother colonies too. I'm out of ideas and really bummed out!

My paramters are where I want them: Ca at 400-420, Alk at 7-8, PO4 at 0.03, nitrates undetectable. I fed aminos, I fed my fish heavily, etc. to no avail.

Ideas? Suggestions?

most times things get worse before they get better , the damage is already done so all you can do now is wait to see how bad the damage is and what recovers , best you can do now is pray......as far as stopping stn goes there's lots of little tricks but none of them are a guarantee but getting the system stable is step one

good luck!

cheers

denny
Old 11-22-2014, 11:51 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy
Default Mg

Thanks Denny, wait is all I can do now. I'm out of tricks....

I just tested the Mg and found it to be 1520. It's always been on the high side, even though I haven't added Mg in months. I suspect the IO salt I use has high Mg. Either way, I don't think these levels are a problem. Or are they?...
Old 11-23-2014, 12:05 AM
Banned

denny_C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
Thanks Denny, wait is all I can do now. I'm out of tricks....

I just tested the Mg and found it to be 1520. It's always been on the high side, even though I haven't added Mg in months. I suspect the IO salt I use has high Mg. Either way, I don't think these levels are a problem. Or are they?...
no they wont be , excess mg wont hurt and most likely the salt would be the cause

best of luck man i know the feeling