Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 PM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

the hydrogen sulphide from the plugged reactor is my first guess.....

second is all the additives......
Old 03-06-2014, 07:59 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

My google Fu is weak right now but I recently read an article from Sanjay Joshi about the collapse of his 500g SPS dominated tank. Similar issues, burnt tips then total tissue release within hours. After all of his analytical thinking and methodology he deduces that one of the best things he could have done was larger initial water changes. All the tricks and tips from the pro's he knows were considered, but in the end he lost a large portion of his SPS.

If anyone knows of the article I am speaking of please put up a link!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Whatever is causing the loss it must be heartbreaking.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
My google Fu is weak right now but I recently read an article from Sanjay Joshi about the collapse of his 500g SPS dominated tank. Similar issues, burnt tips then total tissue release within hours. After all of his analytical thinking and methodology he deduces that one of the best things he could have done was larger initial water changes. All the tricks and tips from the pro's he knows were considered, but in the end he lost a large portion of his SPS.

If anyone knows of the article I am speaking of please put up a link!
This? http://www.reefs.com/blog/2011/04/08...thriving-tank/

Sorry to hear about your problems! I hope it all works out for you
Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Almost. There was one with lots of pictures and a longer write up.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Ahhh herrr it is... http://www.reefs.com/magazine/160499...n-best-us.html
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
My phosphate levels were 0.06ppm last time I measured as checked by the hanna ULR test, which was last Tuesday.
I want to drill a little into this. I can't remember if you mentioned this already, so if you did sorry for asking again, but ... apart from the readings, what are you doing for PO4 control? Are you using GFO, if so, how much, and how often are you changing it out?

The reason I ask is that I use the same Hanna tester for PO4. The tested results always show nominal values for PO4 in the end (the Hanna ULR tester reports in ppb of P, to convert to PO4 you have to divide the reading by 1000 and then multiply by 3.0666) but even so, I notice problems with SPS when I let my GFO get too old.

As far as PO4 goes, I am absolutely convinced of 2 things:
1) Most SPS problems we see and especially those that we can't easily rationalize away to something else .... are usually PO4 related.
2) Testing for PO4 is just something we do to make ourselves busy but the results are meaningless. You might as well dip your finger in the tank, taste it, then emphatically state the first random number that comes to your mind. (It's important that you state it emphatically, otherwise you have to do the test again.)

It might not be THAT bad but OTOH, I think it's closer to the truth than we'd care to admit. I think it's getting into the territory of inorganic phosphate versus organic phosphate and how our test kits and testers can only give you readings of one of those (I forget which), but the SPS are inhibited by the one we can't test (we just hope that if we test for one, that the other is going to be reasonably close).

I notice a definite correlation in how well my corals are doing if I change out my GFO every week, versus at slower change out intervals. Unfortunately the cost of GFO and especially at my tank size (280g) it is quite cost prohibitive to be changing it out every week, so this is something I tend to get an "opportunity" to observe repeatedly. If I get all gung-ho and change it out every week, my SPS grows well. If I don't then .. not only do they not grow well, many will recede or let go altogether. It can be as little as letting it go one or two extra weeks between changing out my GFO.

And yet, the Hanna tester will repeatedly tell me that PO4 is not a concern because it will be 0.02 or something so low that it's in the "it can't be PO4 that is the problem" category. But like I said, I'm convinced that it probably is to blame for a large majority of otherwise-unexplainable SPS problems seen in the hobby.

Last edited by Delphinus; 03-06-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:07 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear of your issues Adam. I feel for ya. Been there, done that, got the (wet) t-shirt, a couple of times over even. Other than another shoulder to cry on, I don't have much more to offer that hasn't already been mentioned.

At the end of the day, we are all trying to recreate a very very very very (did I mention very?) delicate natural balance that even Mother Nature herself struggles with at times.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:00 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Old 03-07-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Thank you! I couldn't find it for the life of me. Asylum, have you had a chance to read through this article yet? I know you said you were pretty busy but I figured it would maybe help to calm you down about the whole situation. Yes, it's heartbreaking but sometimes you just have to ride it out and look at it as an opportunity to re do your aqua-scaping.

Sorry I can't be more help.