Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-28-2015, 05:01 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

OK, all fun aside as I can't come up with something witty ....

Maybe in the wild they bolt in whatever direction is away from the threat, or away from the rocks, or whatever, instead of just straight up.
Maybe in the wild they bolt 'into' the rocks but can't do so in our little glass boxes....

I feel that, in our tanks, theres nowhere else to go but up as we haven't given them enough places to hide ???

It'd be interesting to see a diver show us their environment and spook some ...
Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

All input appreciated so far, thanks...
Duncan, what type of Wrasses do you have and is there a sand bed and or much rock for hiding?

The Wrasses I've caught while fishing have all been close to the bottom. And while diving have seen them in shallow and deep water. If they sleep in the sand and rock work of our tanks they must do the same thing thing in the wild, so assuming that's somewhere they'd consider safe it would makes sense they would escape predators by hiding instead of jumping

Of the 3 I've had only 1 has jumped (Secretive wrasse). It just sucks when something can be done, for the most part, to prevent this from happening
Old 03-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

FWIW, I've lost almost every wrasse I've kept to jumping. Just recently a secretive, which worked out ok because I was trying very hard to get it out of the tank. Currently have a pair of cleaners that have jumped in the past, but so far in my tank have stayed in the water. I may build a lid one day.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:04 PM

acanthurus is on a distinguished road

I have a yellow coris living in the rear chambers of my biocube.. Can't get him out, been a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I may build a lid one day.
I'm sure the same thought has come to mind of many current, former, and potential wrasse keepers.

Had a Cleaner a couple years ago, traded it back into J+L after downsizing tanks, never jumped, model citizen. There was an article in 2013 about successfully breeding them in captivity, has anyone seen any of these pop up for sale anywhere?

Do fish stores that keep them put lids on their tanks when they close shop? If not I wonder what their success rates are. I'll ask Katie next trip J+L
Old 03-28-2015, 04:21 PM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

I have a Lubbock's, blue sided and a carpenters flasher at the moment. Also had a melanarus and he stayed put too.

Just remembered that I did have a solar wrasse and he found a tiny hole in my screen top and went tanning under my t5s. He was well done when I found him in the AM.

There are lots of hiding spots in my tank, but no more than anyone else's I shouldn't think
Old 03-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Had a Cleaner a couple years ago, traded it back into J+L after downsizing tanks, never jumped, model citizen. There was an article in 2013 about successfully breeding them in captivity, has anyone seen any of these pop up for sale anywhere?

Do fish stores that keep them put lids on their tanks when they close shop? If not I wonder what their success rates are. I'll ask Katie next trip J+L
Mine haven't spawned yet, maybe I'm playing the wrong music??

My (old) LFS would often find wrasses on the floor or in adjoining tanks. So ya, they jump just for fun
Old 03-28-2015, 04:33 PM

Thanks Dunc I'll do some research on those....
2 words Brad, "More cowbell!"
Old 03-28-2015, 04:55 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
2 words Brad, "More cowbell!"
I'll try that. I just happen to have a cowbell near the tank. Don't ask.