Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 PM

Frenchie2 is on a distinguished road

OMG this is funny!!!! I'm at work secretly looking into Canreef and I'm reading about this little stunt - Gees, can't stop laughing - I have to go to the bathroom! That was good guys!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:03 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
The pic.'s look awesome, I have to say they are making me excited about my up coming trip to there

Laurie, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. This was the first time for me to the Carribean side. I've been to Acapulco, Puerta Villarta, Cabo San Lucas, Ixtapa and Xihuataneo, and I have to say I don't think I'll ever go back to the Pacific side again.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:41 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I stayed at that resort back in the year it first opened. Some of the best snorkeling I did down there was off that beach! Lots of gorgonians, sea whips and sea fans ... great to see them again, thanks for the pictures to rekindle the memories!!

Came VERY close to booking down there this winter but decided against on account our one year old has a bad tendency to drink any water that he can find - bathtub, shower, etc. .. maybe when the rugrats are a bit older ..
Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 AM

Carmen is on a distinguished road

Looks incredible! Super Jealous!

45 Gallon Cube with 10 Gallon Sump, Lighting 8 bulb T5, Vertex IN 80 Skimmer
-2 Occelaris Clowns, Engineer Goby, RBTA, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
I stayed at that resort back in the year it first opened. Some of the best snorkeling I did down there was off that beach! Lots of gorgonians, sea whips and sea fans ... great to see them again, thanks for the pictures to rekindle the memories!!

Came VERY close to booking down there this winter but decided against on account our one year old has a bad tendency to drink any water that he can find - bathtub, shower, etc. .. maybe when the rugrats are a bit older ..

Tony, I can see myself going back again. How about next year?
The snorkling off the beach was indeed very good. Even in very shallow water there were huge sea fans and large brain corals, as well as Atlantic Blue Tangs that were easily 8" long swimming about in less than 4 feet of water.
Was the pier in when you were there? Huge schools of fish hung out there because people were feeding them. I took some pictures of them with a cheapo underwater camera. The wet bag we had bought for one of our cameras failed after only one day of snorkling, so I bought the other from a store on the resort. Hopefully they turn out. Will know tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:11 PM

Finally got the pics back from the cheapo $12 underwater camera I bought down there. (The wet bag we bought for our camera failed after one day of snorkling.) Picture quality isn't very good. Next time I'll be more prepared: either a better wet bag or buy a decent underwater camera.

Pics of the schools of fish under the pier at our beach.

Tangs

Gorgonians, etc.

My little snorkling mermaid. (She had such a good time she even forgives me for my tank cleaning blunders.)

And this is the rubber tube she got her ass stuck in.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

<gasp> See, I know I've said it before but I'm compelled to say it again .. THOSE GORGS!!! Ahhh! Love them.

It was, in fact, staying at Barcelo Maya that really turned me onto Caribbean gorgonians and thus begat a 5 year obsession to locate some. It is a pity that they are so rare, because they thrive in captive conditions, no comparison to their Pacific counterparts (most of whom, at least of those available to the hobby, are non-photosynthetic).

Look at those Gorgonia ventilana stands!!

Awesome, just awesome.

I see the pier has really gotten reef and coraline encrusted in the last ten years!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 PM

workn2hard2day is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
And this is the rubber tube she got her ass stuck in.
I am sensing another apology trip being booked pronto.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
<gasp> See, I know I've said it before but I'm compelled to say it again .. THOSE GORGS!!! Ahhh! Love them.

It was, in fact, staying at Barcelo Maya that really turned me onto Caribbean gorgonians and thus begat a 5 year obsession to locate some. It is a pity that they are so rare, because they thrive in captive conditions, no comparison to their Pacific counterparts (most of whom, at least of those available to the hobby, are non-photosynthetic).

Look at those Gorgonia ventilana stands!!

Awesome, just awesome. :

Tony, I was just looking at the Live Aquaria web site and they have quite a good selection of Caribbean gorgs, both wild and aqua cultured. I wonder why they are so far and few between up here.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:55 AM

I think interest in these is growing. It makes sense, they actually tend to do quite well in aquaria and are more forgiving than other corals. At least we see them from time to time nowadays up here ... if not all the time, yet. Oh well, gives us something to hunt for at the LFS's I guess.