Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 PM

24storm is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for all the input. We booked in at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumel with the golden upgrade. Cant wait.

Anyone have more input on excursion that a person should look into?

All those who have stay at the Gran Bahia that have any pointers or resturants that they would recommend or stay away from it would be great to have your input.

Keith

Last edited by 24storm; 12-20-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:01 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24storm View Post
Thanks everyone for all the input. We booked in at the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum with the golden upgrade. Cant wait.

All those who have stay at the Gran Bahia that have any pointers or resturants that they would recommend or stay away from it would be great to have your input.

Keith
Some nice cenotes close to Tulum, check those out for sure.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:14 PM

ALang is on a distinguished road

We stayed at the Princess last year. Nothing bad to say about the hotel, except that it IS sprawlingly huge and depends on whether your room is close to the beach or not, it is quite the hike everytime you want to see the ocean.
We didn't mind walking, but it got to be ridiculous when we only needed to check the waves and the flag warnings. Our rooms were closer to the main lobby, so it might help to be closer to the beach.
Plus if you want some excitement or just be aound the pool, you have a bit of a walk ahead of you. So we had to remember to pack everyhting when we head for the beach, just so we won't have to walk all that way back.
Beautiful grounds, though, nice wide walking paths, well-groomed, with beautiful statues lining the walk.
But heed the warnings about slippery floors! The whole courtyard and adjoining walk-paths are paved with VERY shiny marble. We have witnessed and heard of people slipping and falling, often. Marble and water, and spilled cervasas just don't mix.
The beach there is fine, the edge by the water can be surprisingly rocky, though. We would be stolling through the water, and stepped on some very sharp rocks. So water socks are a must.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:49 PM

axe_man16 is on a distinguished road

when you get to the resort, ask the people at the front desk where to make dinner reservations. Book the Japaneese one, absoultely amazing. You will have to travel to Akumal, great snorkeling. I went to Xel Ha, but wouldn't recommend it, very murky water and fairly pricey.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:31 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

Akumal Bay has good snorkeling but the water can get silty if it is windy. Half Moon Bay is about a mile north of Akumal bay, and I think the snorkeling is better, although it is rocky.
If you go to Akumal Bay stop at the Lo Ha beach bar for happy hour. This webcam is mounted on the front of the dining area.
For great margaritas go to La Cueva del Pescador. The also have really good food.
If you are the least bit interested in Mayan history, be sure to visit the ruins in Tulum and better yet, take a tour to Coba. In my 2007 trip, I hired a cab for the day from Akumal to Coba and back, and it only cost around $50, but this trip the DW and I are renting a car for the first 10 days.

If you enjoy snorkeling, I would highly recommend taking a resort scuba course. Better yet, if time permits, do your classroom and pool training at home before you leave, and do your open water certification dives at one of the dive shops in Mexico.

Check out LocoGringo for tons of good information on the Mayan Riviera. I always book with them when staying in the Akumal area. Their forums also provide a wealth of information for activities in area.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:00 PM

bigmac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24storm View Post
Thanks everyone for all the input. We booked in at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumel with the golden upgrade. Cant wait.

Keith
Keith,

I would for sure do "La Gran Tortuga" restaraunt; I'm fairly certain its on the Akumel site; or maybe Coba; I can't remember. But as others mentioned the tram continuously runs between the three sites. You have made a great choice in resorts! We stayed there (at Tulum) and it was fantastic. I would go again in a heartbeat. Enjoy!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:21 PM

Capt_kulafu is on a distinguished road
Default cancun!!

Try Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya beach resort... they are nice too