Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVLEM09 View Post
But if you insist on using LEDs I can do it for you free of charge...all you need to do is drive to North Vancouver on my day off!
Haha Id totally take you up on that if I weren't on the island right now :P
Hell id be happy to trade frags to make somebody else do it for me. Gotta order the lights first!!!

I don't really want to add an extra switch, Id like them to be on when I turn my car on then go off when I turn the headlights/highbeams on. And I want my headlights off unless I turn them on.
I honestly know nothing about cars or wiring.
I know my relays for the Headlights just help pull power from the battery but they don't connect to anything special just the wires that were there so this new relay idea of connecting a DRL light to marker or headlights is confusing me.

Most of the ones I'm finding look like this. Take a close look at the plastic of the light itself....
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...875543816.html

Then these these one, they look different, the LEDs under the plastic look different and the diffuser as well.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ASX-2...527383671.html

Anyone else see $20 difference between the 2? I cant read half the writing with the images so not sure if im missing something either hahaha
Old 04-02-2015, 01:54 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Can't help ya with the cost difference as all I see is white light

You say you want to just have the lights run off the headlamp switch. Well you're in luck. My idea will cost you a bunch of wire and 4 relays. Plus a fuse assembly or 3.

LMK if you want to do it and I'll draw out a diagram for ya. It's really quite easy for anyone who's ever done any kind of wiring. Ya just need to know how to crimp connectors. And its a good idea to put all the wire in split loom to protect it from chafing.

To recap - if your car is wired the way I'm thinking;
My plan will give you LEDs when your Headlights are off (DRL mode and with no dim Headlights), Headlights on without LEDs, and lights will be controlled by either the ignition (better idea) or the headlight switch (probably not up to snuff for proper DRLs, and you'd have to put on the marker lights to run the LEDs).

The only concern I have at this point is what will happen when you put on your High beams. It's possible the LEDs would come on too with my plan.

When are you in POCO again ? I could look at you car on the way home from work around 4PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:06 AM
Follows the rules!

Hahah the idea of 4 relays for 1 set of lights sounds... intimidating.
The sets will come with 1 relay or controller or whatever you call it.

I found this video and it seems to follow the same idea as the description on the 1 set on how to install.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSOdbc4M-gk
So if I pull the fuse for DRL I should still get headlights when I turn those on, but nothing will happen when I have the switch to just DRL mode or "Park Lights" (it has 3 options, DRL - which is just the DRL lights, Park lights - which is the yellow markers tail lights and DRLs, and HEadlights - Park lights and Headlight) so If I ran the controller (relay?) like they show in the video but connect it to my headlights that should allow the new LED's to be on in DRL and Park light mode, then go off when I switch to headlights. They should stay off when I turn Highbeams off because somehow (seems to happen to a lot of people who do this...) when I flip highbeams on, my headlights stay on.

I may just take you up on that offer and maybe we can atleast visually brain storm? It's honestly a giant mess of wires under that hood lol with all 3 sets of HID's I think theres a relay for the highs and Headlights installed (don't think we used one for the fogs....)
I will be in town.... end of the month! 22nd or something like that.
I know how to change bulbs and plug stuff in hahaha but I don't know wiring. I cant splice or cut or seal or... yeah id probably electrocute myself.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:42 AM
On Hiatus

Well, you can't electrocute yourself with your 12v car, but you could maybe get a nasty burn.

I'll look at the video later - building a tank tonight.

The only thing I didn't see you mention is how to address the dimmed Halos with the DRLs on. Is there something mentioned about it with their controller ?
And by pulling the DRL fuse, are you taking half the power away from the Headlights ? As I mentioned earlier on, some cars are designed with 2 powered circuits. The first is half power, which you understand. The second is full power and is how your headlights go from DRL to Headlights.

This is why I was suggesting so many relays.

I'll get back to you after I look at the video.

Looking forward to getting my new mixing tank siliconed tonight !!

Last edited by gregzz4; 04-02-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:51 AM
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVLEM09 View Post
But if you insist on using LEDs I can do it for you free of charge...all you need to do is drive to North Vancouver on my day off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
How would you wire them in ?
I asked 'cause I wanna know if I'm missing something.
Do you have an easier/better/simpler setup in mind ?
Old 04-02-2015, 03:19 PM

kamloops_reefer is on a distinguished road

Sorry I haven't read though all the dialog between you guys - I know gregz is another car guy. I'm only going to shed a little in put on my experience installing HID bulbs for my headlights which would inturn be similar to you DTRL.

- bought cheap set, ballasts and bulbs online and installed.
- started driving and people were pulling over out of my way, apparently a ford five hundred would have made a good under cover cop car
- quickly realized THAT is what is going to get me pulled over by a cop and because it simulates an emergency vehicle, it has tickets and vehicle inspections written all over it - trust me I've had my experience with what gets their attention
- looked into it, and when in daytime, your headlights get a low voltage as they get a inconsistent voltage or something (its been years since I've done this so pardon if I'm wrong) and thus causes the ballasts to get a inconsistent signal to be on....or off.
- There are "anti flicker" relays that you install between you stock wiring harness and the HID ballast (provided you haven't done mods) which prevent the flicker
- I've installed these.....they work
- Just a general read of what I hear you want to do.... sounds like some modification of the stock wiring or addition, If you not really good at it... I always recommend leaving it to someone that is. Your lights not working when its pitch black going through the mountain one time because if it.... wont be cool at all.

To give you an example, I've re-wired a street / strip car with all new wiring - I'm very comfortable with the 12v system on anything pre-early 90's. Its just my mechanical and wiring intuition (not my experience) that the newer cars rely on their wiring circuits so much.... that I try to avoid doing to much to them .

1.) However if you REALLY wanted to add LED driving lights (I've wanted to do this for my own fog lights using say..(6) Cree XM-L2 chips per side (just shy of around 1200 lumens each = 7200 lumens which is almost 3 times more lumens than a head light bulb).
2.) Tap a wire into the existing harness (positive) that goes to your current driving light / fog light) in a way that it would be easy to undo (I always solder)
3.) Take a bosch relay you can get from Lordco and run that "trigger wire" to terminal (86) on the relay - this is the trigger wire to turn the relay on / off
4.) then run a wire from terminal (87a or 87) to your lights to complete that circuit
5.) The headlights should then be independently grounded
6.) Supply independent 12v to the relay, in the most extreme case you would run a 10 ga wire (I believe thicker is better when it comes to headlights) and the most extreme case, battery terminal or alternator post, to the relay post (30/51)
7.) I encourage there to be a fuseable link, or fused section between this circut (20amp max)

Note - double check those number because I suspect I'm partially wrong.....its been about ten years since I've worked with that relay and it confuse me until I start playing with one (before installing) so DOUBLE CHECK and confirm those terminals before installing.

if this explanation was already given, I apologize... its morning...I'm not a morning person.... and it just reinforces what you could do then

Also note LED prefer a stable voltage source... not a varying voltage that cars would offer (range from say 12v to 14.4 volts depending on condition of charging system, RPM ) so I recall seeing another little relay type thing that promotes a limiting voltage of 12V or so. From what I would interpret this would just ensure your LEDS wouldn't get brighter as you say accelerated from a stop.... or dimmed as you came to a stop (that's what I would consider a poor installation) - it would also probably enhance the LED life and run them at a voltage they like and temperature.

As you might see... I like 12v systems and at least pretend to know what I'm talking about
Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Follows the rules!

Yeah clearly this is a "pay somebody else to do it" job... ughh. I can pay somebody with coral bahahaha. I do medical or animals stuff. I don't speak car.
I knew the HID's would do the flicker thing while on DRL mode before I bought them. I knew I would have to keep them on Headlight all the time, or find a way to turn DRL mode off...
I just want to avoid having HID's on at all during the day, because I honestly don't need them. However at night they are beyond useful with the amount of suicidal deer out here. And I don't want to go with nothing for lighting during the day, because honestly... the old folks around here cant see a store window in front of their car while parked, I cant imagine they'd have a very easy time seeing a black car with no lights coming at them.

So I went out and checked out the fuses annnnnnd absolutely nothing happens. The large blocks in the fuse block (im assuming the relays?) the one for DRL isn't even there so cant pull that to see what happens. Pulled the DRL fuse and nothing happened. Pulled the Headlight fuses one at a time and all they do is turn my headlights and DRL's off so nothing comes on at all.
So I am currently at a loss for how to prevent my current headlights/DRLs from doing anything when my vehicle is switch to DRL only.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:39 PM

kamloops_reefer is on a distinguished road

having done all that kinda stuff before... i can only encourage you to save your time (go work over time at work or something to make up for it) and instead of wasting more time and money trying to fix it, just pay a local to do the install how you want or mod. if neccessary.

there are plenty of guys advertising installed HID's for under 200 on craigslist, I cant advocate if they do good work or not, but sometimes....learning something new is better reserved for another day
Old 04-02-2015, 11:58 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Have you looked into the HID Anti-Flicker modules? They are plug and play harness and are supposed to eliminate the flicker caused by DRL's. I haven't used them myself but on other forums I belong to they seem to do the trick. Maybe see if the maker of your HID kit has their own brand of module.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:19 AM
Follows the rules!

My HID's are all ready installed and running fine...
I don't want more HIDs installed
I don't want my HIDs on at all in DRL mode.
I want to kill DRL from coming out my current light fixtures so I can install separate DRLS.