Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-06-2007, 05:53 AM

mark is on a distinguished road
Default Feeding SPS question

For those who feed their SPS, looking to get an idea what seems to work and how often to feed.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:05 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Mark,
If you have good strong lighting, sps as a rule will feed from the carbohydrates (starches & sugars) produced during photosynthesis by the zooxanthelae they host. Bacterias and amino acids are IMO some of the best other food sources they feed on both directly and indirectly. Too long of a story to explain how it all works. Anyway, I think lighting and flow are what you should be concerned about for now.

Greg
Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've fed my acros with various foods over the years, and while it's cool watching them eat, I'm not sure I saw any noticeable difference in any aspect of them. As Greg said, they re mostly self sufficient in their feeding, given proper lighting and water quality. But, I didn't see any harm in it, so I'll probably still feed once in a while, once I have some corals to feed again.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:06 AM

Puff is on a distinguished road

what do you feed your sps?

i use coral frenzy and reef roids, but im not sure if that is right or not. i know my softies like it.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

reef roids here as well
dont like frenzy though it lives nasty film on the serfice.
Roids are good for all in terms of particle size including Gorgonians and Gonioporas. I mix it with Fauna Marin Clam food and bacteria.

totally agree on the flow and water quality first- light second -food third.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:49 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies, getting good growth but my colours still a little muted that's why wondering.

Believe setup should be okay (145g with 2x250W MH and 4600gph) started keeping Ca and Alk up by making sure change water is on (correcting low Ca and Mg as IO low right from the pail) then maintaining with reactor and now running carbon full-time. Am seeing the colours improving but looking for that extra edge.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

I feed my fish and my fish feed my sps.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:00 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Reefroids are great for softies & LPS but the particle size for the most part is too big for sps.

Greg
Old 12-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Thanks for the replies, getting good growth but my colours still a little muted that's why wondering.

Believe setup should be okay (145g with 2x250W MH and 4600gph) started keeping Ca and Alk up by making sure change water is on (correcting low Ca and Mg as IO low right from the pail) then maintaining with reactor and now running carbon full-time. Am seeing the colours improving but looking for that extra edge.
This is all good .
if you want colors get on ZEO or silmilar system with intent to lover No3 and Po4. (Ozone and UV is not for these bacterial based systems just FYI)
Food for SPS is last on your list after water quality , flow and lights.
Then dose potassium for better colors
Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

just to add my two cents, intense light, good water (no nitrates, ect) Ca not to high say 380ish, and Alk up around 11. worked wonders for me, awesome colors and ugly fast growth. how you achieve this is up to you. I didn't do the zovite or what ever it is, I tried feeding for about 1 year, no difference from when I didn't feed. I chose to skim the hell out of it, Kalk reactor and Ca reactor, and a good light set up.

so it sounds like your on the way. also remember anything that claims to color up fast is snake oil, it takes time. the only time I noticed a big fast change in color is when my alk got low, for some reason 8 for alk my color were dull and at 11 they were vibrant and it would change fast enough to let me use my digitata as a alk gage.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 12-07-2007 at 02:30 PM.