Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Q&A

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 08:31 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

I personally never found any value in the vendor rating forum. I don't think we need that forum but I do think that if someone had a bad experience, they should be able to post it in their local forum (IE. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, etc)
Old 06-02-2005, 08:55 PM

Rikko is on a distinguished road

I wasn't able to get a poll to work, but here's what I had said:

---

(Poll here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy F
It may well be ridiculous but it be true.

What exactly are you people missing with the vendor rating forum no longer being here?

Seems to me the board has a few people that are always stirring every pot they can. I don't see many people missing the forum. I know! Willow, why don't you start a poll?
Perhaps that was tongue in cheek, but I didn't think so.
At the risk of ****ing off all the mods, I think I can explain where the point of contention is. The official line is that the forum is gone because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf
I think at this point, all we can say is it may be a conflict of interest in the future. With recent changes to the board, we have to re-evalute some of our features and forums, with Vendor Ratings being a questionable item.
Conflict of interest between paying advertisers and consumer reviews. ie. You don't want to be stuck in the position where a paying client demands you to censor your board because they don't like what their customers are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus
The Vendor Rating forum had always been the one that generated questionable and grey area discussions. The Staff spent more time discussing about issues related to the forum than anywhere else.

Since we are under a rather big change (at least on our end on server changes, traffic charges for our server, and web page layouts), I have decided to streamline the board also by removing this forum for better resource utilization on our part.
Because having a forum with an average of maybe one post every 5 days is an unnecessary bog on system resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf
Due to the inflammatory threads that most often evolve in the vendor ratings thread, we've discontinued it. We have had threats of legal action as a result of some of those posts, and the guidelines we had asked be followed many times were not.
Because of friction being generated between members who disagree about a particular store.
Also, because someone threatened to sue Canreef Aquatics. (I once told somebody online that their particular beliefs were stupid. They threatened legal action. I encouraged them to look for a lawyer who would even take that case. I remain out of court and their beliefs are still, to the best of my knowledge, stupid.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy F
What exactly are you people missing with the vendor rating forum no longer being here?
We're missing the exact reason as to why it's gone, as I hope I've illustrated.
As a reefer, I see it as censorship. As a retailer, I see it as a "perk" to investing in advertising. Though some people here seem to think that the reasons given (choose one) are a wash, I do see where you're coming from. Having spent a great deal of time on ReefCentral, however, I've grown to really respect the retailers who are interested enough to see negative posts about them and have the actual salesperson who dealt with the matter come and give their side of it. No need to fling poo, and no need to escalate it - if a retailer replies only once and says "I'm sorry, I was having a very bad day and I had already told you twice the day before that you would not be allowed to return that" then that's really enough for me.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:22 PM

kari is on a distinguished road

That forum was all whining and complaining. Bye bye Venders Ratings
Old 06-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow
brad i think a lot of people have told you guys that the vendor ratings forum was useful and we would like it back.
Thats not true. Its just been a few people. We are taking notice of your concerns though, even if we dont agree.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarolisol
Threats of legal action, thats rediculus. Its called free speach. This forum is becoming severly censored.
I disagree with that. I have seen it happen on other boards. The worse problem is, I, for one am not a lawyer. I dont know where the boundry is crossed, regardless of what some aquarists think is free speech.

Its me, as a staff member and Titus, as the boards owner, whose arse is on the line. I do this moderating crap, to try help out the board, as an aquarium information board, not to be a referee in these matters. Esp. where I dont know where the line is. Thats the worse problem.

Perhaps if someone else, that has a law degree and can handle these matters when they arise, they would be better as a moderator and I can step down.

My experience and skill, is in the keeping of reef aquariums. Period.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari
That forum was all whining and complaining. Bye bye Venders Ratings
I must agree with some others that there were some good threads. Some of which I enjoyed reading, but the ones yhat were as you mentioned are the pains.

Again, as in my other post, where do we draw the line without the legal knowledge?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

How's this for an idea? And this is just my thoughts right now, haven't discussed with anyone else.
If you wanted to post a Vendor Rating post, you compose it and submit it to one of the mods for approval for content. Not to be censored, but to be sure it follows the guidelines we've always asked for. No slagging, etc

Just compliments or cosntructive criticism, we post it for you in a locked thread. That way your citique is posted, not subject to argument or discussion, and then everyone who wants to know about vendor experiences can read them.

Thoughts? Other mod guy's thoughts? What do the vendors think?
Old 06-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Oh, and on this censoring thing. You all know this is a private board, right? Try to think of this as someone's house. Just because you've been invited over doesn't mean you get free reign. If the rules are no smoking in the house, do you argue with that? Of course not. Please stop arguing over the rules here. They're implemented for a reason, and whether you agree or understand or whatever, those ARE the rules.
In some cases we will look at alternatives, but I see lots of attitude in this thread, and it isn't needed or welcomed.
Please feel free to come to our house and talk shop; most of you have been here a long time and we hope you'll continue to be here for a long time to come. However, if you can't follow the rules and guidelines set forth by the management of the board, please stay at your own house. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:11 AM

Beermaster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Beermaster

Quote:
If you wanted to post a Vendor Rating post, you compose it and submit it to one of the mods for approval for content. Not to be censored, but to be sure it follows the guidelines we've always asked for. No slagging, etc

Now thats a solution that works IMO

After reading and following this thread, i think this is the best idea yet, that way vendor ratings get posted and people can't argue about them

Now that is if the Moderators will post good reviews and Bad reviews and leave thier own personal feelings out of the situation
Old 06-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster
Now that is if the Moderators will post good reviews and Bad reviews and leave thier own personal feelings out of the situation
As I said, instead of "bad" reviews, we'll look for constructive criticism. You can post your unhappy thoughts, but without anger or attitude.