Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-12-2013, 09:24 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

..and nevermind the hundreds of thousands of people who will scratch their heads when you tell them how much ANYTHING relating to your tank costs. To you it's totally worth it to buy a $30 bucket of salt, $5 jar of fish food, $10 for a 1" frag. These things may seem inexpensive to you but there are more people who would deem those things EXPENSIVE at any cost. The point here being, even the term "expensive" is relative.

Last edited by kien; 12-12-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:29 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
..and nevermind the hundreds of thousands of people who will scratch their heads when you tell them how much ANYTHING relating to your tank costs. To you it's totally worth it to buy a $30 bucket of salt, $5 jar of fish food, $10 for a 1" frag. These things may seem inexpensive to you but there are more people who would deem those things EXPENSIVE at any cost.
Totally agree. But when someone posts a comment about which fixture of light to buy or which powerhead to buy, there seems to be numerous post supporting to buy the things with heavier price tag instead of saying "buy whichever suits your need". You shouldn't judge anything based on the price but should ask "does it worth it to pay that much" and thus personal judgement comes. I have experienced it numerous time myself in this forum starting from buying lights to buying skimmer.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-12-2013, 09:45 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

From my limited experience and reading this and other forums, there is definitely a "hype" component, especially when it comes to new technologies. Wireless features, LED's, skimmer technologies etc. Think about when lighting changed so that corals could be kept in aquariums, lighting improved so that tougher corals could be kept. When these products first came out, I can imagine how expensive they were. Now there is more selection, pricing drops. I bought G1 Radions, within 6 months, the price dropped, within a year the G2's came out, dropping the value of mine even lower. This is not a cheap hobby period. I think the "get what you pay for" applies more so to used items rather than new. Trying to save money on used, not sure of condition, seller, history etc., means money you save up front could cost thousands if it fails (return pump off ex).

Each person's equipment set up is as unique as each person's tank inhabitants. I don't need to rush out and buy the latest and greatest, my tank suits me.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:51 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

"Is it worth it?" is very much in the eye of the beholder. I bought literally the most expensive pump I could without ever seeing one in person let alone using it. Why you may ask? It wasn't a "look at my Ferrari" moment. It was a "I want the most efficient, controllable, and backed product on the market" decision. Same reason I bought my BK skimmer and LED lights from GHL…. reliability and track record. I have no problem paying for a companies R&D. Without companies that do the hard work, knock-off companies like Jebao would have nothing to copy.

I think you'd find if money wasn't a barrier (I don't mean that as a cut to whatever your financial situation is) you'd buy the name brands when possible.

And for what it's worth I have never had to replace parts on my vortech mp40's. They have been running for ~4-5 years. I clean the wet side once every 6 months maybe. Now my Profilux controls them and synchronizes feeding and maintenance modes with my light, skimmer, return pump, vortech mp40's. For me that compatibility between products is worth every penny.

Just my two cents.
Scott
Old 12-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've been running Tunze 6100 pumps since they came out. One is from the original shipmant J&L received. I've replaced the impeller once. I put it in this tank 4 years ago, pointed it, and it goes.

I recently bought a much less expensive WP60. More flow, sure. But every couple of weeks is starts sucking air from the surface. That annoys me, I have to play with it. I also find that in most modes, I can hear it in the next room.

As Scott stated above, barring monetary barriers, I would choose a Tunze over a budget Jabeo any day. That being said, my expectations for the WP60 are much lower, and overall, I feel with both pumps, I got what I paid for.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I don't think your going to win this one bud.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
From my limited experience and reading this and other forums, there is definitely a "hype" component, especially when it comes to new technologies. Wireless features, LED's, skimmer technologies etc. Think about when lighting changed so that corals could be kept in aquariums, lighting improved so that tougher corals could be kept. When these products first came out, I can imagine how expensive they were. Now there is more selection, pricing drops. I bought G1 Radions, within 6 months, the price dropped, within a year the G2's came out, dropping the value of mine even lower. This is not a cheap hobby period. I think the "get what you pay for" applies more so to used items rather than new. Trying to save money on used, not sure of condition, seller, history etc., means money you save up front could cost thousands if it fails (return pump off ex).

Each person's equipment set up is as unique as each person's tank inhabitants. I don't need to rush out and buy the latest and greatest, my tank suits me.
Nicely explained Sheena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
"Is it worth it?" is very much in the eye of the beholder. I bought literally the most expensive pump I could without ever seeing one in person let alone using it. Why you may ask? It wasn't a "look at my Ferrari" moment. It was a "I want the most efficient, controllable, and backed product on the market" decision. Same reason I bought my BK skimmer and LED lights from GHL…. reliability and track record. I have no problem paying for a companies R&D. Without companies that do the hard work, knock-off companies like Jebao would have nothing to copy.

I think you'd find if money wasn't a barrier (I don't mean that as a cut to whatever your financial situation is) you'd buy the name brands when possible.

And for what it's worth I have never had to replace parts on my vortech mp40's. They have been running for ~4-5 years. I clean the wet side once every 6 months maybe. Now my Profilux controls them and synchronizes feeding and maintenance modes with my light, skimmer, return pump, vortech mp40's. For me that compatibility between products is worth every penny.

Just my two cents.
Scott
I totally agree with what you have said. It is a personal choice and should remain it that way. Someone asking "I bought an odyssea fixture, which lights should I put in" and people jump in saying "nothing is going to work cause you get what you pay for" is just obsolete. It should be what you have explained..."pay for what you want to". No one needs expensive stuffs in this hobby to succeed but the market and some people just put it that way.

About the China's coping comment, yes I do agree. Without some companies, China would have to come up with their own designs which would, in turn, increase the cost of the products but still won't be that expensive. And about the creativity/design concept, I can't say anything about that but all I can say is "people always find a way". I will keep this in mind for another thread for another day

Well I do use brand stuffs and with more affordability, I would definitely move to better stuffs but obviously will not spend money on things which are not "required". Like I would spend money on a better reflector for light but definitely not on something that has fancy things which I will never use. I would probably add more smaller powerhead instead of spending on vortec. I would buy an efficient skimmer that gets the job done instead of paying for brand names. Like you said, personal preferences and not relying on "you get what you pay for".

Old 12-12-2013, 10:24 PM

darkreef is on a distinguished road

I don't go by you get what you pay for . I go by you get what effort you put in.

The fancy stuff is just to make are lazy lives easyier .

No one wants to top off or do water changes .
But even that doesn't have to break the bank and loose the house

But maintenance equipment make me feel like money well spent
(Skimmers, ato , more snails! , extra pump for wc ect.)

But a extra 500$ for lights that may up my coral growth a few inches a year doesn't .
Old 12-12-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I've been running Tunze 6100 pumps since they came out. One is from the original shipmant J&L received. I've replaced the impeller once. I put it in this tank 4 years ago, pointed it, and it goes.

I recently bought a much less expensive WP60. More flow, sure. But every couple of weeks is starts sucking air from the surface. That annoys me, I have to play with it. I also find that in most modes, I can hear it in the next room.

As Scott stated above, barring monetary barriers, I would choose a Tunze over a budget Jabeo any day. That being said, my expectations for the WP60 are much lower, and overall, I feel with both pumps, I got what I paid for.
Tunzi is definitely better and possibly the best powehead out there. But there are tanks running wps and doing alright (can't say successful since its too early to judge). Tunzi suits your need and hence you went for that. But I am pretty sure there will be people out there saying "ahhhh you should have bought vortech since they are the most expensive and coolest powerhead out there"....what will you say to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I don't think your going to win this one bud.
There's no winning or loosing over here Bill Its just a small empty tank hungry for fuel And since Brad told me you are going to kill me if I open a poll, I opened this thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreef View Post
But a extra 500$ for lights that may up my coral growth a few inches a year doesn't .
But if you sold frags, you'd more than recover that $500 with those extra inches.

Also, often, when paying more, you get greater reliability and warranty. Not always, but often. I expect that my 8 year old Tunze will still be going long after my WP60 dies.