Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road
Default Difference between 1.5" and 2" drain in overflow

So my 180 gallon was drilled for a 2" bulkhead. I figured since I was working with 1.5" (and I'd have to buy a full 12' of 2" pipe) I'd reduce it and do all the same plumbing. However my durso is pretty much under water above the elbow and makes a lovely sucking noise. I'm trying to make this tank as quiet as possible so for now I've throttled back my Dart pump to about half. In hindsight I probably didn't need the Dart.

Anyhoo, will going back to 2" pipe make much of a difference? I'd really like to run the dart full open or as close to it as possible for extra flow.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:50 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Have you fiddled with the vent hole?....I wouldnt restrict the drain.....unless you had an emergency drain....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, if I don't have a cap on it its disgustingly loud. With the cap on, it surges. So I drilled a bunch of holes in the cap so its not so loud and doesn't surge. Its still pretty loud though.

I was thinking of maybe putting a jog in the pipe going from the bottom of the tank to the sump like so: _|
.................................................. .................................................. ....................................| (ignore the dots, stupid thing wouldn't accept spaces to get it there)

but then that just slows down the water in the overflow even more.

I'm currently running a stockman in my 90gal, it's nice and silent but theres a lot of algae growing in my overflow and it constantly clogs the holes of the stockman.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:10 AM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

According to here, the difference in gravity flow between a 1.5" drain (2100gph) and 2" (3300gph) is 1200gph - fairly substantial. Now, I don't know if those numbers are 100% accurate or not, but even if they're off by 25%, I'd say there's still a significant increase in drainage using the full 2".
Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Herbie......
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

I'm running 2-2" Dursos and drilled one vent hole in each cap matched for when first running ~2000gph. Strangely they are different sizes (5/32 and 7/32 just checked with an index) but generally overall they are small. Only about 1000gph now but holes still working, not Herbie silent but the Dursos are really really quiet.

Do remember would get the up/down and sucking in the overflow with cap and no hole, small hole would get the variation in the overflow level but no sucking and still a little noisy but once hit the right hole size, the sound just dropped off level stabilized.

Now if I see the level in the overflow moving a bit, know I have a little salt creep to clear.

Last edited by mark; 01-20-2010 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:29 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It would probably make some difference. Think it's called the "double/quadruple principle", if you double the pipe diameter you get quadruple the potential flow at the same pressures. I'm not sure I'd do the jog. Sorta sucks but it might be worth getting that length of 2" pipe and see how it goes.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM

findingnemo1 is on a distinguished road

Christy i'll talk to Craig tonite and see what we had on there. Cause that tank was in my living room in Sherwood park and i never heard it. And i know we did have a reducer on it as we'll.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:25 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Initally my tank was surging too and I have dual 1.5" and a dart. I wound up having to use 2 drain valves for a while to get increased flow to my sump and that would quiet it down so I would say its definately a flow issue. Go with the 2" it will be quieter and safer.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Durso standpipes should be one size bigger than the drain to work properly, so if you're using 1.5" pipe for the drain, your durso standpipe should be 2". This should fix your problem.

FYI many plumbing stores will sell PVC pipe by the foot.