Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post

so an army of powder blues or rare anthias is less likely to arrive at the store than a bunch of yellow tangs or clowns.
That's funny, because my LFS typically gets in an army of powder blues and rare anthias regularly Any fish I'm looking for is only a 2 week wait usually.

Granted, I do want an Achilles and I'm holding out for a privately sold individual to ensure a better chance at survival..

but yes, I do notice an increase in posts looking for things, but mostly from the same few people. And conspiracy theory posts are right behind that
Old 10-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy20012002 View Post
so hopefully these posts dont' get removed as free advertising was not the reason for this post.
Nope, no reason to remove, it's a valid question!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

I don't think it negatively effects the LFS. The person selling most likely has something in mind to replace it with.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:53 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Has anyone actually asked their LFS to bring in a fish for them? That might solve some of the stagnation of fish that come in. Our store asks people all the time what fish they want to see in store. Unless its really expensive there is no obligation to buy it either. But were spoiled here in Victoria as Brad mentioned
Old 10-12-2012, 03:22 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

I can't think of a single fish in any of my tanks that didn't come from an LFS. Other than some local clown breeders, is there really anyone on these forums breeding tangs or wrasses? I'd be willing to bet that 90% or more of anyone's fish on here, at one point came from a fish store.

I have posted up here when I was looking to buy a certain fish, the last I believe was a CBB, I didn't see any in my usual haunts (LFS) so I posted here asking if anyone had one or knew of one FS... In the end it was a LFS that replied and I bought it from them.

Funny enough, I was just thinking about posting a WTB thread for a purple tang, I haven't seen one in an LFS for some time...although the last one I saw was at double the price I'd be willing to buy it at (~$260). It also almost feels like certain fish are seasonal items... Today I have a hard time finding a purple tang for anything less than $200+ and a month down the road everyone has them for $60.

I for one believe we should support our Responsible LFS, if we don't we'll end up buying our staple products (salt etc) and 3 types of available fish from an unhealthy Walmart tank.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Sometimes I post I'm looking for things like specific fish or inverts in hopes either someone will just happen to be thinking about parting with their's or some saw the item recently at a LFS. It saves me driving around to every store or calling them which is actually harder than it sounds due to language barriers or unreliable employees. If it's something I really want I'll even consider shipping from other locations. I don't consider using convenient resources to my advantage lazy, more like efficient

Last edited by sphelps; 10-12-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 PM

Flash is on a distinguished road

I usually will buy from someone on the forum before a store if they have something I want. I have done my rounds to the LFS and haven't seen a single fish I would buy and or the prices have gone through the roof $70 for a 2" foxface.... ya I don't think so that's a $40.00 fish! Keep in mind I worked at a LFS, so I get how things go down and I understand the seasons, shipping, box charges and what not.... But walking into a Store you'll see clowns, yellow tangs, scopas tangs, the odd trigger and some small fox faces. They all have the same stock as they are all ordering off the same lists. I tend to see that fish out of people's tanks are a little healthier then the ones in the stores, so I always look to see what's for sale here to give it a home instead of it ending up back at a lfs!

NOW... that being said....i have also walked into a store here and found an amazing Orange Fiji puffer that I haven't been able to find anywhere else in the city and I fell in love with him so I took him and a beauty of a Naso home as well.

The same store had an amazing Lavender Tang but I couldn't justify the $$ for it!

I wouldn't call it being cheap or lazy... just preference (this is just my opinion) I ask here first in case someone is going to be shutting down... if not then I wait and talk to Steve or Ken about bringing me in a particular fish!

The "busy" season for LFS hasn't even started yet... over the winter is when I usually see the best stock selection and prices come down a bit!

Keep in mind.. some people do not have access to cars, so they will shop on here find something and take the bus to the location rather then going all around the city (which is why we have a buy/sell section)

I've had great success with finding things on here!

Fb- edmonton fish coral and hardware buy and sell!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

My first thought as to why I'd post a "looking for" a specific fish is the same reason I'd visit the SPCA before a breeder if I was looking for a dog. I'd like to see if there was an unwanted fish out there that I could home before creating a demand at an LFS.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Flash is on a distinguished road

plus I might add, if someone can't find a home for their fish when they shut down.. the lfs might if being generous give the person a 50% credit to what they would sell the fish for... which is fair for the stores to do, but at the same time, someone on here could get that same fish 50% less then retail!

I support my LFS.... some more then others.... but really, would i turn down a $30 6" healthy regal tang to go pay $100 for one that just came out of a bag and only has a 50/50 chance at making it?!

Fb- edmonton fish coral and hardware buy and sell!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

I don't understand the term "support LFS"

Makes it seem like they're a charity that I should be supporting.

They're a business, they should be competing with one another to earn our business.

I buy as much as I can from other reefers. Only a sucker would go pay more money at a fish store for something they can get for half the price on the forum

I work hard for my money and I like keeping as much of it as I can. When I'm searching for something, I make sure to check every store for the best price before buying it