Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 AM

Palmer is on a distinguished road
Default Frag tank

Over the next few months I am thinking about setting up a frag tank. I was planning on piping it in sync with my main tank (primarily to save on duplicate costs and leverage the investment of the main system.) The tank is a 30 Gallon (36x12x16") old ALL GLASS Aquarium and currently naked (not drilled, no plumbing etc etc)

I would like to have a coral growing machine (capable of anything i.e. SPS)and also to try a few things I havent done with my main display. Does the following sound good?

Sunlight 36 " T5 6 bulb... The tank is 12 inches wide. The fixture is 15.75 " wide. I am thinking this shouldnt be a problem? I will likely use a bracket to set it on the tank.

Thinking of having one bulkhead around 1 1/2" for the return from the sump. And a Herbie overflow installed on the inside of the tank (likely just on one side) going back to main sump

Thinking of a Vortech MP10 for all flow

Other than adding another heater to my system to handle the increased water volume I wasnt thinking of doing much more? My display is 120 G with a sump that has 30 Gallons give or take so this will then put me at around 180 Gallons total. Oh yeah I was thinking of doing something with carbon directly in the frag tank since I plan on keeping lots of different creatures in there.

Thoughts??

Palmer