Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Sea U Marine

Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 PM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Ordering experience with Sea U Marine: Online

First off. to be fair, I am going to post SUM's DOA policy.

Quote:
We select and ship the heathiest specimens only!!
No box, handling and heat/cold packs charges.

New DOA policy effective May 15, 2011

DOA Policy - Buyer must be able to accept package from Fedex Upon arrival on the first delivery attempt, otherwise DOA policy will be voided. West Jet shipments must be picked up within 4 hours of arrival, otherwise DOA policy will be voided. Buyer must file any DOA clams via e-mail within 12 hrs after the receipt of live goods package, and clear photos of the actual specimen is required. Once the claim is honoured, SeaU Marine Online will credit the DOA items less any shipping cost towards the buyers next purchase. All credits must be used within 3 months of issue date. Buyer agrees not to hold SeaU Marine Online responsible for losses due to negligence or delays by shipping company or airline used.
I made my first order with SUM on March 1st consisting of three peppermint shrimp, several snails, 1 McCoskies Wrasse, 1 Carpenters Wrasse, 1 Tangora Goby.

This package arrived in a large 2foot by 1.5 foot styrofoam box, with only 4 heat packs in it.

I emailed Ken immediately and with pictures as per the return policy. He emailed back stating the box was colder than normal because they put only 4 heatpacks instead of six in because the shrimp prefer cooler temps when shipping.

I was concerned at that time for reordering in the winter for the DOA wrasses so I decided to wait until the weather was warmer before trying again.

On May 5th, I placed a reorder for the DOA wrasses and Ken came back to me within 24hours stating the carpenters wrasse was not in good enough shape to ship and wanted to know if I wanted anything else. I cancelled that order and said I would wait for his next shipment to come in.

Quote:
Sarah

Just checked the condition of the fish, they are not ideally to be shipped. I think the new batch for both fish will be arrive in about two weeks. If you like to get your refund for the Shipping Cost that you just sent last night. I can definitely do so.

Have a good day

Ken

Quote:
Hi Ken,

That really sucks that they are in that bad of shape they cannot be shipped.

Please refund me back the shipping amount I paid you the other day and I will email you in a couple of weeks when you new shipment comes in to see what they are like.
I am definitely hoping I will be able to get these guys, otherwise next time, I am going to ask for a refund of their price as well.

Thanks very much.

Ms. Sarah Baker
On May 16th, I received an order processing email from SUM stating that they want to ship the wrasses on Tuesday and want to know if I will be home Wednesday. I was a little suprised at this as I was expecting an email to let me know the new stock arrived and to find out what shape the fish were in first, as I had also been checking the website for updates in the stock and the Carpenters wrasse has been "out of stock" since the beginning of the month.

So I emailed him back.

Quote:
Hi Ken,

Yes, I will be home to be able to take delivery on Wed.

I have been watching your site and hadn't seen the Carpenter's wrasse listed on there, but did see the McCoskies.

How are these guys looking for transportation this time? Much nicer looking than a little over a week ago?

Thanks for the update.

Miss Sarah Baker
To which I got the reply that these ones were from the new back of a week ago.

Quote:
Hi Sarah

That is the new batch of McCoskies and Carpenter's Wrasse from last week.
According to their Condition yesterday, they were feeding well and active.
So I received the new order today, and it was a smaller box with four heat pads on the inside, so no issues there.

The bags were double baggied, but had floating plastic in the water with the fish in addition to a little bit of activated carbon wrapped in some sort of blue netting like the stuff used for wedding favors.

Immediately, I noticed the Carpenters wrasse is dead, and the McCoskers is listless, breathing hard and beginning to discolor.
I take pictures and email Ken immediately.

Delivery taken at 10:10am email to Ken by 10:35am.

I let him know how disappointed I am with this shipment, after spending another nearly $74 on shipping for more dead wrasses.
I am very frustrated at this point.. and it showed in the email as I was short and snippy. I just feel really bad for these fish.

Ken then emails me back stating wrasses are difficult to ship.

Quote:
Sarah

I want you to understand that wrasses are difficult to ship in general. The one that is alive may not just swimming right away normal. It may take 24 hrs to recover in dim light envirnoment.

**paragraph removed***

Anyway, let me know the condition of McCoskie wrasse tomorrow.

Thanks
Ken
This was new information to me as the numerous people I had spoken to about the shipping of their wrasses found them no more difficult than other fish. You just need to acclimate them in quaranteen for a while, and once adapted and confirmed no diseases introduced to your tank.

Additionally, the website does not state that these fish are difficult to ship.. had I seen that information posted on his website, I would not have attempted to purchase them from him in the first place in March, but I had always heard good things about SUM and their livestock.

So after a few hours this afternoon, watching the other wrasse it lost the rest of it's color and died too stressed out and really thin.

I immediately sent pictures to Ken and let him know, also told him the above and suggested he mention it on his site about the shipping of wrasses.

It sucks all around.. Ken is giving me a store credit for the wrasses now, but unfortunately, with the cost of shipping being what it is, I won't be making another order.
I would rather spend that amount of money and take the train to Kingston or Ottawa where I can see the fish in person, especially since a reorder based on the new prices on the site today would cost me $99+taxes and frankly I don't want to spend that sort of money on dead fish again as I would have gotten more enjoyment at burning my hard earned dollars over my bbq than killing fish in shipment.

I only ever give a place twice to get things right when it comes to ordering live stock online, be it fish or corals.. and if that doesn't work out my review is placed for others to see just as an fyi.

I would have to say that Ken's communication has been good through all this, but I just cannot risk having another fish die on it's way to me. So I have a new rule..... no fish order through the mail. Only in person.

This isn't to bash Ken or SUM, but is up as an fyi and learning experience, and perhaps to save a few more fish from dying needlessly, just spend the money and pick them up directly from him and bring them home the same day.
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 PM

pelle31 is on a distinguished road

Damn that sucks!! Sorry for your losses. I ordered my Seahorses through Ken and never had a single problem! And they arrived in great shape and that was in the Winter. Shipping and fish is always a gamble. I've had good luck and bad luck with both fresh and saltwater.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:30 AM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

I just received my seahorse order today and everything is just fine.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:37 AM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

The credit policy kinda sucks.....

I usually hear good things about SUM though.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:06 AM

Jewel is on a distinguished road

I too hear great things about SUM, never bin there though, On another note I would never order anything live to be delivered across country, Just imagine the stress caused, sorry but too bad

Orange Shoulder, Liutenant Tangs, Longnosed Hawk, Xmas Wrasse, Niger Trigger,

Clams, Blastos, Hammers, Frogs, All LPS
Old 05-19-2011, 12:22 PM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
I too hear great things about SUM, never bin there though, On another note I would never order anything live to be delivered across country, Just imagine the stress caused, sorry but too bad
Considering almost everything you put in your tank comes from across the world, a cross country trip is (relatively) no big deal.

BTW SUM is a great store, but like any other store sometimes their fish are a bit iffy. Not a knock on them since it's not like they make them, but fish can be fragile creatures shipping or not.

A few of the wrasses I've bought there vanished without a trace just but another is doing very well. Much the same as other stores.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

OP seems to have quite negative experiences with many online stores, maybe it's easier to shop locally. I know that there are two guys around Kingston area that sells stuff regularly, Jim from Forte Phantom is one of them.

Good luck.

As for Ken - I absolutely support him & he's one of the better ones in GTA but I shop locally.
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 05-19-2011, 08:40 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

rather sad that the fish makes it 1/2 way around the world only to die going across the province.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 PM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporize View Post
OP seems to have quite negative experiences with many online stores, maybe it's easier to shop locally. I know that there are two guys around Kingston area that sells stuff regularly, Jim from Forte Phantom is one of them.

Good luck.

As for Ken - I absolutely support him & he's one of the better ones in GTA but I shop locally.
Yeah I deal with Jim in Gananoque all the time.. but because I don't drive, I can't get to him as often as I would like to, plus he only brings in selective stock when he wants.. I was looking for some one else for wrasses as I have been asking Jim for six months about bringing me in flasher wrasses. His corals are great though and all the fish and most of the corals in my tank come from Jim.

Also, I don't have a lot of bad experiences with online stores... only one really which was fragalot which was the first, but Ken at SUM at least has great communication which puts him a notch above negative... but still am not happy and I feel people need to know to be aware of the "Difficulty" of shipping wrasses.
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

A lot of the fish that are shipped directly to stores around the world are DOA as well. It's an unfortunate side to this hobby that is difficult to overcome.