Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

View Poll Results: Best Calcium/Mg/Alk/Nitrate test kits?
Instant Ocean 0 0%
Salifert 10 62.50%
ELOS 1 6.25%
API 3 18.75%
Tetra 0 0%
Seachem 2 12.50%
Hagen 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2010, 04:22 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road
Default Test kit poll

I am getting hard time to figure out what test kits to use because i have been used couple test kits and their result are varies from branch to branch. For example. I used IO to test my ph and it says 8.2 but my API test says it is 7.8, same for nitrate, IO says it is < 10 but API says it is 20

It is a huge differences, I know that these test kits are not very accurate but what is the best test kits our there for the money? Please vote and explain
Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

pH is a tough one for test kits. Why not just use a pH monitor or controller? Theres a used one for sale used right now: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...hlight=monitor

There are things I dont like about all of the test kits available to hobbyists. I've yet to see a study done that compares them for accuracy against lab grade testing solutions/equipment so I dont think there is a 'best'.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 01-27-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
pH is a tough one for test kits. Why not just use a pH monitor or controller? Theres a used one for sale used right now: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...hlight=monitor

There are things I dont like about all of the test kits available to hobbiests. I've yet to see a study done that compares them for accuacy againts lab grade testing solutions/equipment so I dont think there is a 'best'.
Well I have neptune ph monitor probe and it record 7.7 :-(. Ok, I just test my ph with all test kits i have and here is the result my Salifert ph test say 8.2, api ph test say 8.4 and IO test says 8.2

This is driving me nuts. Ether i got a broken ph probe or all my test kits are junk. Your thoughts? Btw, is it true that you have to replace ph probe after one year usage?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:09 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

When was the last time you calibrated your pH probe? After 3 months I find mine can easily be out by .2 When they're out by even more than that I replace them which is probably between 1-2 years. I buy standard probes and not Lab grade and that also shortens their usable lifespan.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 01-27-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
When was the last time you calibrated your pH probe? After 3 months I find mine can easily be out by .2 When they're out by even more than that I replace them which is probably between 1-2 years. I buy standard probes and not Lab grade and that also shortens their usable lifespan.
I calibrated it last month. I will calibrate it again and see.