Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-22-2014, 04:29 PM

SaltyDog143 is on a distinguished road
Default noob just beginning questions

Hi all,
the wife and I have decided to take the plunge after debating this for more than a year. We have done a fair bit of reading and research but have a long ways to go, we are in no rush and money is a factor.

our initial thoughts after reading were to buy nothing smaller than 75g and nothing bigger than 120g, we want sump instead of tank mounted fixtures we know we want both corals and fish, shrimp, crabs etc.

we got our hands on a 120g tank yesterday (48"x24"x24") back has the overflow and drains externally, we also purchased the guys RO system, so that is our beginning........ I know the sump and stand are next but what is the order to purchase equipment from here?

What are the bare minimum I need to start, I read I dont need a skimmer right off the bat, but maybe a month or two after up and running. Are pumps next? Lights, etc?

i just want some help to develop my plan and pick up some used equipment here and there until we hit the, "ok now we buy rock and sand" stage.

thanks
Randy
Old 09-22-2014, 05:05 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

The essentials would include, sand and rock, lighting, filtration, flow and temp control. Without any of those nothing is going to survive. The order in which you choose to purchase them in is up to you.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Welcome to Canreef! I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but in my honest opinion I wouldn't put water in a tank without a skimmer. No real order in which you need equipment either. Keep an eye on the buy/sell forum and check out other members tank builds. Lots of useful info there!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Welcome to Canreef! I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but in my honest opinion I wouldn't put water in a tank without a skimmer. No real order in which you need equipment either. Keep an eye on the buy/sell forum and check out other members tank builds. Lots of useful info there!
I ran my tank skimmerless and sumpless for almost a year. Not necessarily the best way to do it, but it works just fine. The sooner you get a skimmer the better though. They certainly make a big difference.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:30 PM

If memory serves me correct...and some times it doesnt, was suggested in some reading that it isnt necessary to have skimmer until after the tank cycles and your rock is all upnd properly seeded, or however you want to refer to it

the reason I ask about the order to buy is because I cant exactly go buy my rock and sand before i get the filters, lights, etc I need all this other stuff in place first, it will be a slow process for us, going to start with the basics and work our way up, our hope it to have a fully function beginners reef tank by spring.

I just need to figure out things like how big the pumps need to be, how big the skimmer needs to be, what lights we need, etc

thanks again
Randy

Last edited by SaltyDog143; 09-22-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:37 PM

pinkreef is on a distinguished road

Make sure your tank is level, add rock water and sand(if you want sand).
mixing the water in the tank before you add anything else is one way of doing it. Add a heater and powerhead. get a skimmer rated for 100gallon at lease and get it going.
now you can watch your tank come to life
oops you need a light to be able to watch it
enjoy
Old 09-22-2014, 05:51 PM

ronau is on a distinguished road

I'd buy some Rubbermaid brutes and start curing your rock now while you are collecting your equipment. It'll speed up the cycle time once you have your equipment.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the input guys,
on the rubbermaid idea....could we potentially leave the rock in there for a month or so while we were getting everything else together? I am thinking the lighting is going to be the biggest hurdle as thats a big investment.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 PM

yea you can leave it in the rubber maids as long as you have flow in the water and temperature control.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 PM

Ok so I am gonna surmise here.......

Get a stand and sump,
next pumps and heaters
then go buy rock put it in the tank, fill it with RO water start circulating and bring up to temp
Install internal fans, current makers, whatever you call them to get water flow

bam, we have started

next get lights on the tank, then a skimmer and watch your tank start to evolve, slowly.......

am I starting to get the idea straight?
or am i still out to lunch

oh ya dont forget the salt, lol

Randy

Last edited by SaltyDog143; 09-22-2014 at 06:48 PM.