Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 AM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

Looks like Kessil has also dropped the price of their A150 to $225.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

This pricing change was expected wasn't it? This is what happens with almost every new high tech product - i.e. Apple iPhones.

First adopters get bleeped to be first adopters, and as soon as there is more competition at lower prices and new versions coming out, those early versions drop precipitously in price/value. With all the new LED lights coming on the market, this is happening faster and more dramatically than with most products in the past, but this is one of the disadvantageous of being a first adopter, n'est pa?

Probably a good idea NOT to look at the new pricing schemes and simply enjoy your Radions. They are still as good as they were when you made the initial purchase decision. There will always be newer versions out for every high tech toy, so its a no-win situation to think too deeply about how much you paid back in the day versus how much the new versions are going for now and what new features it has. Enjoy your existing Radions & Kessils that you bought in the last year or so and don't stress too much about the new pricing policies. Not too much you can do about it anyways, so sit back and enjoy what you have. They're still awesome lights and a major upgrade from what you had previously.

Just my $.02.

Anthony

Last edited by SeaHorse_Fanatic; 11-04-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:33 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I agree 100% with the above post. I guess I thought the connectivity of the gen 1 was being upgraded and it would be a simple update. I guess that is what irritates me, they are upgradable but not to the extent I thought.

I'm not trading or selling mine, they work fine....albeit a few user issues and I'm seeing good growth.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
This pricing change was expected wasn't it? This is what happens with almost every new high tech product - i.e. Apple iPhones.

First adopters get bleeped to be first adopters, and as soon as there is more competition at lower prices and new versions coming out, those early versions drop precipitously in price/value. With all the new LED lights coming on the market, this is happening faster and more dramatically than with most products in the past, but this is one of the disadvantageous of being a first adopter, n'est pa?

Probably a good idea NOT to look at the new pricing schemes and simply enjoy your Radions. They are still as good as they were when you made the initial purchase decision. There will always be newer versions out for every high tech toy, so its a no-win situation to think too deeply about how much you paid back in the day versus how much the new versions are going for now and what new features it has. Enjoy your existing Radions & Kessils that you bought in the last year or so and don't stress too much about the new pricing policies. Not too much you can do about it anyways, so sit back and enjoy what you have. They're still awesome lights and a major upgrade from what you had previously.

Just my $.02.

Anthony
Touché. I totally agree and it is a lesson to all that had purchased a radion or any equipment for all that matters. I glad I have no intention of selling or trading mine but it still burns me that in order to upgrade I will end up eventually paying another $130+ which makes the difference of about 35%+.
You win some and then you lose some... for me it means that I will have to be more patience when comes to buying any future equipment at any LFS. I'm glad that I am not selling and if I plan to upgrade my tank at least I can get used Radions at fire sale prices. So it is not that bad after all.

Will be listening to how Ecotech and the Cdn distributor will be handling the upgrade requests on the lights.