Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-19-2007, 03:40 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
I figure that by keeping it at 7 seconds, a few good things happen:
1) I avoid running Kalk powder through the pump
2) The pump doesn't have time to heat up.
3) The remaining undissolved solids settle to the bottom more quickly, ensuring that I only deliver clear Kalk to the tank.

I figure these will help avoid calcification inside the pump, and possible precipitation at the delivery point in the sump.
Sounds like a good basis. Would you post your results? I would love to see if it works out for you, and if if it does I will probably change my settings on my reactor.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:57 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

No kidding! Should be a matter of just testing the pH probably .. if the pH never dips below 11 it's probably just hunky-dory to do it that way.

I've never really noticed calcification inside the pump though on my reactor. But what I do notice is a buildup at the effluent line where it reacts a little with air. Having said that though, I've always felt that the kalk powder is hard on the pump. In my case I just use a MJ600 so I'm not out a lot of capital to replace it every couple of years but still, your reasoning makes me want to rethink my setup a little nonetheless.

7 seconds is awesome. It's hard to find a timer that lets you do less than 1 minute intervals. Chaulk up another advantage to using an aquarium controller...
Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

I have a MJ1200, and while I have yet to see any wear on the tank, its an easy, albeit wasteful replacement.

My control will do seconds, but only in 10 second intervals. Still might be worth the change if I can save a pump, and still get the same results.

I also get build up in my top-off line, and sometimes if I stop the top off it takes a bit longer to get the flow going again.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:08 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
Thanks! Now, time to spy!

Wait a sec...it's not working. Is it turned off sometimes? Do I have to "Login"? All I see is a blue page that says "Panasonic Network Camera", but no screen.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-19-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:09 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road
Default Kalk reactor test..

Here are the results of my Kalk reactor testing:

I tested the pH of the fluid in the top of the reactor. For this first reading, it has been almost 48 hours since the last 7 second mix cycle. The entire column is clear liquid except for 1cm of undissolved Kalk on the bottom. pH = 11.59

I then allowed the reactor to mix for 7 seconds. This caused the column to "milk" to a level of about 1/2 way up the reactor. I measured the clear liquid at the top of the column again. pH = 11.63

I then allowed the reactor to mix for about 2 minutes. Interestingly, the column of "milk" only reached a height slightly above the pump intake...maybe 2/3 of the total height of the reactor. It seems that no matter how long you run the pump, the topmost part of the reactor will never get cloudy. Again, I measured the liquid at the top of the column. pH = 11.64

My conclusion is that the pH of the liquid being delivered to the tank has not significantly changed even 48 hours after even a 7 second mix. Nor does it significantly change immediately after mixing for several minutes. This actually has made me consider that even 7 seconds every 2 days is more than adequate.

However, the amount of FW that I am pushing through the reactor per day is still very small. It may be possible that pushing MORE FW through the reactor could dilute the clear Kalk between mixing cycles. As I increase the flow through the reactor, I will repeat the experiment.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 11-19-2007, 07:19 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Thanks! Now, time to spy!

Wait a sec...it's not working. Is it turned off sometimes? Do I have to "Login"? All I see is a blue page that says "Panasonic Network Camera", but no screen.
I forget what page it was exactly, but I think untamed did mention somewhere that there were only so many hours where the camera is online. For starters it's probably not online during nighttime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
Here are the results of my Kalk reactor testing:
Interesting results. Thanks for checking into it and posting. I think I will be making some adjustments to my kalk reactor setup as a result. I agree that it's possible you may need to adjust the frequency of mixes as the flowrate increases but it certainly seems as if there's no reason to expect to need to increase the mix duration.

The only thing I'm a little uncertain about is when you occasionally need to clean the vessel and put in new kalk for mixing. It seems to me as if at least that first mix may need to be a little longer, but in those cases, you'd be manually turning the pump on and off anyhow so it doesn't actually change anything "procedurally".

Anyhow, very nifty. Cheers!
Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Realize that you are running the Kalk reactor for it's effects on pH in addition to Ca, but since there is a Ca component, have you measured the Ca with the different stirring strategies (or is there a direct collation between ph and Ca).
Old 11-19-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Realize that you are running the Kalk reactor for it's effects on pH in addition to Ca, but since there is a Ca component, have you measured the Ca with the different stirring strategies (or is there a direct collation between ph and Ca).
The clear liquid at the top of the reactor is Calcium Hydroxide. An over-simplified way of thinking about this is that the Calcium represents the Calcium part, and the Hydroxide represents the Alkalinity part. So...yes, a measurement of the liquid's pH is representative of Ca and Alkalinity potential of the liquid, in this case.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 11-25-2007, 12:21 AM

My skimmer filled up again last night. For some reason, every now and then the skimmer goes nuts and fills the collection cup. Once the cup is full, the skimmer burps and spits, spattering everywhere...including on my touch screen. (one time, it actually told the controller to lock the CO2 supply on. It drove my Ca reactor down to pH of 5.8 before I noticed!)

So, I've had enough. I rigged up a float switch, and connected one of the three skimmer pumps to the Aquatronica contoller. The float switch sits in the skimmer colletion cup, if the fluid in the collection cup rises, it shuts down the skimmer. Should have done that months ago!

Here's a screen shot of the controller screen. On the right hand side you can see the various inputs including "skimmer level - OK". The skimmer is now assigned to plug "H". The "L" on that plug indicates that this plug is contolled by a level sensor. The blue outline means that the plug is currently "on".

That's your Aquatronica lesson for today...

Old 11-25-2007, 12:56 AM

skylord is on a distinguished road

Two questions...is your float valve just floating in the cup and where did you get the float valve?